I Forge Iron

Hensley anvil on CL

Are you planning on doing farrier work?  If you are only going to be doing horseshoeing, then it is probably an OK deal.  But if you are doing general blacksmithing or knifemaking type work, walk on by.  Find yourself a London pattern blacksmithing anvil.  They are out there, especially at that price range.

No, no ferrier work for this guy. I don't like horses enough to get under them, I have a fear of getting crushed and being under a horse would probably trigger it. I have seen some anvils for less in my area but they are severely beat up. I know where I can get a London pattern for $200 but it has grinder marks on the face which scares me away.

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it, I'll just keep looking.

The price is high, but not by much.  It is a smaller maker so it could be considered a "rare brand", and I wasn't able to find a new one for sale online, so he might be asking collector prices... He is definitely asking a NEW price!   So you can get a brand new anvil from a farrier supply house that is a little heavier for that price, and more of a blacksmith's London pattern.  If he were willing to come down a bit, and I had the money and was tired of waiting I might do it...  I wouldn't discount it just because it is a farrier's pattern, the built in turning cams at the heel are pretty handy, the other idiosyncrasies could prove to be useful.  I like the thinner heel on a farrier's pattern for some things.  The wasp waist on a farrier pattern anvils and many Hay Budden's and Trenton's ring like a Bell, or a large tuning fork!!!  Something to consider.

I don't like and don't trust painted anvils in general, so if I did go to check it out I would hit every sq. inch of the face with a hammer to check the sound, rebound, and see if it dinged the face... Could have gone through a truck fire, or been filled in with a MIG and ground smooth, you never know, especially if it is painted...  I prefer to see them wire brushed and linseed oiled...

As I recall I saw a very similar farrier's anvil at Centaur Forge for $450.  You are allowed to look at the new anvils at the various blacksmith supply places and buy one there if you can't find a good one locally; so Centaur Forge, Blacksmith's Depot, Pieh Tools, Old World Anvils, Nimba Anvils, Fontanini Anvil and Tool, etc.

As such you will find they are in general powerfully expensive!     Have you used the TPAAAT to find anvils that are not listed for sale by people trying to sell anvils for a profit?

Sjs, those interesting features are some of what caught my attention. Especially the built in scroll tongs. Some of the features I've never seen or heard of before.

Thomas, new anvils online have not been on my shopping list since shipping is going to be expensive and I would have to be home when it showed up since local parcel deliveries are delivered by little scrawny people and my wife should not have to help unload. I will check out some more online shops just to be more educated. I just read up and will be trying the TPAAAT next time I go looking.

Seeing as how most of what i do is smaller projects I have been looking at the 4x4 anvil on old world anvils. I want a bigger one for the sake of extra mass and bigger work space.