I Forge Iron

Cats in shop

matto

Because it keeps the wife happy.   Cats here but a little shy right now.   Went down after dark to stock the stove and caught two of them in the windows and one climbing on the stairs.  Then opened the door and bam closest corner or hiding spaceimage.thumb.jpg.9146f6ecb9f7af0e7c748eb0image.thumb.jpg.345c18848b261637c3936c79

They'll need proper PPE  Tiny ear plugs, tiny glasses kevlar, booties. 

I don't really know about cats hearing and eyesight but it might damage their hearing over time and vision if you're welding. I've heard tinnitus can be a xxxxx to live with. Don't know if they get it but something to think about

If cats are making you sneeze maybe you are using too much pepper in the recipe.

As to long term environmental issues I don't think you have to worry about things that take decades to cause problems; I'll ask my daughter though, (she's in vet school)  I asked my 2 cats about it and one sat on the keyboard and the other said I should feed them till they were too fat to move...

Right now they have found their hiding spots.  See them one minute turn your back and they are gone the next.  Probably a little scared still.  My wife is like a little kid always trying to find them and hold them,  my aproch is that they will come around when they are ready.  I have one up on her because I am the one they see feeding them and cleaning the litter box.

Matto, as a long time cat owner who occasionally loses one of my Standard Set of Two to old age (mine tend to last 18-20 years in their coddled existence here), you are taking the right approach.  Bringing a cat into a new environment Ive found it best to just turn them loose and let them get comfortable on their own.  They will.  They'll come find out who you are once they've got the lay of the land.  Cats are actually quite social, in spite of the bad reputation given them by slanderous dog owners.  Tell your wife to sit quietly reading or something, they'll come out of hiding to check her out soon enough.

A long whippy stick or fishing pole some string and a: ball of yarn, a pom pom or feathers and you'll have cats bugging you to play with them.

My most successful tactic for making friends with cats is pretend they're beneath my notice. There isn't a cat alive that thinks it's beneath your notice. They'll come set you straight soon enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI but we had a cat that got a piece of metal in its intestine.  Most likely I tracked it in the house and it picked it up in its paw, licked its paw and swallowed it.  When I say metal I mean a very small sliver bigger than a filing but smaller than I thought would cause a problem, very tiny but stood out like a like light bulb in the x-ray.   The cat died from it, not sure if it was due to it not wanting/being able to eat due to irritation or an infection.... but it basically starved itself to death.  We tried feeding her by hand for a few days and the vet tried to give it a laxative to try and move it along but it was lodged in the intestine wall.  They wanted 2K to do surgery and remove it.  Very sad way to go...my wife and daughters were devastated.  Now I am EXTRA careful to sweep or capture filings, shavings, etc and not wear my boots/shoes in the house from the garage.  I would advise you to do the same.

Edited by quick60

Keep the coal locked up, and make a cover for your forge.  I have forged with tainted coal I can only assume that the cat urine smell was from the usual suspect and not just a foul batch of stoker coal... very unpleasant...

Cats in shop?

May I recommend a Marlin .22?

Worked for me!

Revolting creatures.

​Being allergic to cats I can understand your feelings,   but I do not blame the cats, I blame the owners that let them outside in the first place, Most civilized places have leash laws for pets that includes cats.   They should not be allowed to run loose and breed where they can infest respectable places like my trash cans, smithy, or get hit by a car in the street,  nor to provide target practice.

Steve, cats can (and do) carry diseases that can effect humans and yet other diseases that effect livestock. Being very effective predators, they also take a heavy toll on birds, amphibians, reptiles and small mammals, species which often don't need any further pressure on their population levels. 

So, wherever you live, do yourself, your local farmer, and your local wildlife a favour by destroying cats wherever you find them.

Edited by Dan P.

• 1 month later...