I Forge Iron

The guys on this site are good!

Since joining this site I have been cruising around the site and have been kind of surprised by how good most all the projects look. I have been at this forgeing thing completely alone so far. I live off the grid On 20 acres with no one around me for two miles. Everything I have learned I taught myself through trial and error, Heavy on the error. My wife and Son have been pretty much the only people to see my work, Except I have given and traded some of it. I dont really like to show my stuff to people as I dont think its all that good. Oh And I dont have my own computer so I cant show you any pictures of my garbadge. But if some one REALLY wanted to see it  I would send them a pic from my phone. just remeber the old saying " Be carefull what you ask for you might get it" On guy says to forge on and make beautifull things, I cant say mine are pretty.

Edited by MAD MAX

Dude: cut that crap out! You think anybody is born knowing the craft? Learning it is an exercise in perfecting failure analysis as a first skill. If you're NOT making mistakes you're NOT blacksmithing. Corrections and tweaking on the fly is a HIGH ART! I've been doing this as a sort of sometimes professional hobby for better than 50 years and I can count how many times I've gotten something good enough to not need tweaking, complete remake or tossing on my fingers. That IS if I'b bothered to keep track that is.

Post pics of your work, WE'LL decide if it's: garbage, ugly, etc. You admit yourself you don't know that much so how in the world can you think you're a good judge? Put it up and let the good times ROLL!

Okay, someone out there speaks Cajun, I LOVE Cajun for "let the good times roll." Please translate for me, I'll owe you one.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Max,

That would be me...  Never ever be ashamed if your work..  We all consider that just the learning curve to profection. You can get a lot of advice on this sight and I have never seen a negative comment... Just helpful hints

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I have never been able to post a pic on any site I am computer stupid. But as I understand it I would have to have pics on a computer and I dont own one, I use a public computer.

​I haven't tried it with the new site, but I primarily post from the shop with my phone.. Get your son to show you how. :)

J

I started the journey over 30 years ago and had no guidance in the beginning.  The first project I attempted was a pair of tongs - which took 12 hours of hard work and would not hold anything when completed...:lol:

Francis Whitaker lamented that life was short and the craft so big that nobody could learn it all.  Read books, watch videos and go visit other smiths - then practice, practice, practice.

I often here new guys say they are embarrassed to post picts up because of how bad they look. Thing is, if those with more knowledge saw those picts, they could probably make some suggestions that will help you learn and avoid making mistakes. Especially those who have taught, can often recognize common errors and make suggestions. People seldom come up with really new and unique ways to screw things up. Most likely many of us have done the same thing in the past, and learned how not to do it again.

As far as picts, digital cameras are dirt cheap. You can often find older used ones for almost nothing. All you'd need is a USB cord to mate the camera to the computer, or one of the cheap USB camera card adapters. I'll bet the computers are set up for this sort of stuff.  I never realized how useful one of those little pocket digital cameras were until I got one years ago for Christmas. I'd been used to SLR cameras where pictures were taken of important things.

Once I had a small digital, I found all sorts of uses for documenting things regularly, especially with a camera that didn't cost me a fortune like film did to develop. I eventually got a better camera for taking "real" pictures, and thought the little pocket camera would be useless. Instead I found that it gets used as much if not more so than the good camera as I keep it in the truck all the time so I always have a camera on hand ( I'm one of the few who still has a phone that just makes phone calls...)

Ayup, a garage sale digital camera, an adapter cable or just plug the memory card into the library computer and you're on display. Done deal, easy greasy.

So, forge some: key fobs, zipper pulls, coat hooks, etc. sell them and buy a camera. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

Dear Max,

As others have said, we've all been at the same place you are.  In 1978 I found a forge and anvil at an auction, cleaned the mouse nest and pine sap out of the blower, got some books from the library, found some nasty old slaked sub-bituminous coal, built a fire, and started pounding on hot iron.  And here I am.  The best bit of advice I can give you is to remember that blacksmithing is largely hand/eye coordination.  It's like learning to play a video game, sawing wood, swinging an axe, or any other activity.  The other part is knowing where to hit something and how hard to hit to perform the operation you are trying to do.  Also, if you watch a video or read instructions on how to make something immediately go out and actually do it.  I say this because, as Francis Whittaker said, muscle memory lasts longer than mental memory.

Encouragingly,

George M. 

If I was born knowing how to forge, weld, or fabricate, I would not be quite as proud of myself for knowing how to do those things. As with anything else I feel that the process of learning how to do those things and the countless hours (and injuries) makes the pride in what I do that much more legitimate. Some people struggle less on the road to developing skills then others, but everybody earns their way. I look forward to the day when I have made more LBS of steel in products I am proud of then LBS in my scrap bin. As someone on here once said (Ted T IIRC) "your scrap bin shouldn't be seen as a pile of shame, but a pile of gain" or something along those lines. For every piece I throw to the scrap pile, there is at least one mistake I learn not to make again. Every flub-up is part of the learning curve. You just need to remember to learn from it. It can be tough to be trying to teach yourself how to do things and finding someone to teach you or even attending a meet will set you weeks or even months ahead in developing your skills. Either way you go, put in time and patience and you will get to where you want to be eventually.

There are many on this site that our self taught .  We all have a pile in the scrap bin of learning curve items . If you think your items look like garbage then look at them real close and think how I can make them look better. From hammer control to what details can I add to it to compliment what I have built. 

Mr. Mad Max.

May 15-17, North West Blacksmith Association will be hosting the Spring Conference in Longview, Washington at the Fairgrounds.

Come and meet a whole bunch of Like-Minded people. Watch a Demonstrator, Take a Class, High Quality Conversation (some call it B.S.). Cook your own grub (or not), Camp in a Barn if it's raining, Under the Stars if you like. Learn with your eyes, Take notes with your hands, Take Pictures,  Everyone will answer your questions or find you someone who will. Tail gate sales for used Tools and Equipment, Some new Tools and Equipment, Sometimes there are Books. There will be a HUGE GALLERY, Auction Items for the Auction after dinner Saturday evening. Mid-Nite Madness that goes on and on, until the last person turns off the Forges. It's Not Fun at All!!!!!   Some say "Steal with your Eyes", Please make sure to take some pictures and notes to Kick Start your Rememberer!!!!

Please try to find a way, to make the date.

Neil

Hi Max,

I used to have this motto in the end of all my comments. It is my #1 mantra while blacksmithing:

"No one was born as a blacksmith."

It's actually a Finnish saying, and nowadays it has a bit more abstract meaning. But in our case you can read it very literally.

And one more thing: you are on the way to know fire and steel and to move steel to your will. Not that many knows those things these days.

Keep on the good work!

Gergely

Dude: cut that crap out! You think anybody is born knowing the craft? Learning it is an exercise in perfecting failure analysis as a first skill. If you're NOT making mistakes you're NOT blacksmithing. Corrections and tweaking on the fly is a HIGH ART! I've been doing this as a sort of sometimes professional hobby for better than 50 years and I can count how many times I've gotten something good enough to not need tweaking, complete remake or tossing on my fingers. That IS if I'b bothered to keep track that is.

Post pics of your work, WE'LL decide if it's: garbage, ugly, etc. You admit yourself you don't know that much so how in the world can you think you're a good judge? Put it up and let the good times ROLL!

Okay, someone out there speaks Cajun, I LOVE Cajun for "let the good times roll." Please translate for me, I'll owe you one.

Frosty The Lucky.

​I am a Yankee transplant from Iowa but Been in South Louisiana for about 22 years.    Other than the french version above I have heard something along the lines of "We passin a good time"     It has a lot to do with family gatherings, good food (usually cooked in quantity, often in big black iron pots), Music and usually some alcohol.   Usually there is plenty seafood or fish but meat is important.  Rice is a staple.   And being outside is part of Passin a good time.

Laissez les bons temps rouler! I don't speak it, but I google it really well.. lol

J

​That's the one. My Googlefu must've been offline, I didn't even think of it. If I had time right now I'm betting I could listen to it in a Cajun accent.

Well, back to tonight's soup.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

it is good to take pictures that way you can see the improvements over the years. The good thing about posting pictures is the critique of others. Pointing out small things from people with more experience can help. Some time small adjustments make the difference of heading in the right direction. When I started back in the 80's All I had was books to go by. 

I tried for 4 hours to post a picture and as you can see it still didn't work. But I thought it did. I did take 4 tomahawks to another blacksmith close to me And asked his opinion he didn't believe that I was the one who made them. He just looked at me weird and said" You couldn't have done these" Then just walked away. So I don't know if he was impressed or if he thinks they suck, he was a pretty strange guy.