I Forge Iron

Barber Chair footrest

Dogsoldat

A barber friend has been restoring a 1958 barber chair.  Had fixed a few broken cast iron  pieces on it already, but he was short the footrest.  Finally had some time to get ambitious.  Had to drag the coal forge out of the snow and mount the blower back up  couldn't fit things through the door of the propane forge.  I'll have to play with a lot more coal, sure puts out the heat.  Melted one really nice leaf and had a few sparklers.  Was starting to get the hang of it by the time I was done.   Did manage to take a few pics as I was working.  I did use my little Mig to glue it all together and a  die grinder with a zip disk to clean up the welds.  Stayed fairly close to my chalkboard sketch.  It's 16 1/2" wide x 8". 

post-15973-0-83022000-1423969554_thumb.j

post-15973-0-25878000-1423969678_thumb.j

post-15973-0-95165800-1423969796_thumb.j

post-15973-0-60235700-1423969913_thumb.j

post-15973-0-38018500-1423970025_thumb.j

post-15973-0-85228900-1423970239_thumb.j

post-15973-0-92207000-1423970456_thumb.j

Great work there. I like the design - good balance. I have a similar design for the edging around a mirror using gum leaves and gumnuts etc. It has sat in the corner of the smithy half done for weeks. Thanks for the pics - you have inspired me to finish mine.

Michael, it's a bit untidy looking at the moment, but I'll see if I can get a pic soon. Looking forward to a pic of the barber chair. We have a couple of those but I have never taken much notice of the footrests. I will now.

Googling barber chair footrests gives lots of interesting hits.  They are all fairly large and thin cast iron.  Some chromed or nickel plated others just plain cast depending on vintage.  Was almost contemplating a cast aluminum one, but would have had to dig out the casting sand, make a new box  attempt a pattern or three...   

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Nice job Michael. It's obviously not a casting like the originals. I like that, it's not a restoration it's a repair. It gives the chair a more living feel rather than something that's dead, gone and being brought back. What I'm thinking is people repair equipment they're using where it takes time and money to restore something and a large part of that time is needing the equipment just there, not in use.

If that makes any sense.

Oh and I like well done repairs that don't pretend to not be repairs.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd love to see the chair also.  My dad was a barber for near 50 years.  I have his two old chairs, one is a Koken the other make escapes me.  I plan to move them into my living room soon.  Heavy suckers!!  Nothing like real craftsmanship and art for function in old barber chairs.

Well I installed the footrest today.  Bald as a sheared sheep to...  Feels good to have short hair again even if it ended up a touch on the short side...  Guess that's why it's called Shorty's Barber Shop.  So heres a couple of pics for those interested.  And on the shelves by the mirror is his growing collection of clippers razors other various odds and ends.  Should have taken a picture of it but he had a wooden box that can be dated to 1812  and when the wooden divider between the inkwell and other spot is lifted it opens up a panel that hides 3 little drawers.  DSC01994.thumb.JPG.0555a210fd185c0fc772dDSC01995.thumb.JPG.9ac12646f5b636d49b513

DSC01993.JPG