I Forge Iron

UK workshop rental prices

Thanks so much for all your help folks but unfortunately the NIMBY has won and the workshop has fallen through on the grounds that the hammering is too loud.

I hope you don't feel like I've wasted your time, your info will no doubt come in use at a later date. Needless to say I'm completely gutted but in a sickly sweet sentimental kind of way I think it's also a sad day for blacksmithing in general because the estate's idea was to develop that spot into a craft workshop corner and if you can't have "the king of all crafts" there, then no wonder it's a dying trade.

Sad and disappointing for you. But (philosophical bit)  far better that it is decided at this stage rather than after you have spent a lot of time and committed money to the project.

Nobody wants a bad neighbour or a noisy/smelly/dirty one. Which is why having your own house next to the workshop in the middle of nowhere is almost the ideal situation…throw in a 3 phase power supply…Nirvana!

Now, if you could rent the cottage instead of the NIMBY it would work well.

A blacksmith friend here had most of his working life blighted by constant complaints to the planners and environmental health departments. The district council eventually wrote it off as vindictive, but they still had to respond to every complaint. Another's misfortune is small consolation, but I would not want you to suffer that.

Alan

Sorry to hear that Joel. I know how hard it can be at times looking for a decent shop at a reasonable price.

Maybe the NIMBY will luck out and someone else will move into that space instead. Know any pig farmers looking for space? LOL:P

My new landlords are the next house over, my casita used to be the maids quarters.  They were very supportive of having me smith at the place; but they are quite deaf and he is 93 and she is 84 and not very mobile.  Keep looking and spread the word!  I found this place by mentioning that I wanted to get out of the "suburbs' at church and this hidden opportunity materialized.

oh that's a bummer...  have just been to look at a place today that is pretty much the same state as in your photos. Nearest house is across a field and I'm in a working farmyard so they aren't worried about the noise thankfully. Originally I was going to have the option of 3 of the derelict barns but they only showed me this one as they ruled the others out as they were too close to residential properties that retired people live in, so are home in the daytime. I am a bit concerned as this place has 8foot high cross beams as well... so not sure if that will rule it out for me, but they'll do it up to my spec with double doors, 3 phase, office, wc etc. large part of floor was herringbone brick.. not sure how that would work for levelling stuff on, anyone else deal with 8 foot cross beams and a herringbone floor? 

SAM_0844.jpg

SAM_0840.jpg

Hi john, thanks yeah, of course, it's what i do now with my uneven concrete floor, suppose you just cope but i dream of a nice level smooth concrete floor where i can lay work out and not have to spend half hour fiddling to get it level :) actually it's the cross beams and head room that are concerning me. My power hammer will fit in, it's 7 foot high.. so that's ok, but imagine getting a job for a 9 foot tree.. suppose it'd have to be done sideways.. :) . !!! anyway, John, going to ring you tomorrow, am going to bring some work down to devon show if that's ok. 

@ Joel, sad news, but as Alan said rather now than a month after you moving in. And may your antagonist get a bad dose of hayfever and diarrhea on the same day!

@Colleen, that looks like a great space.

Cheer folks. I've got the ball rolling on some other potential places so onwards and upwards.

Nice looking gaff Colleen. I'd go for it, it looks like it'll be a nice place to work in - I think a nice environment is quite important.