I Forge Iron

How many guys got all there stuff on wheels?

I have many items on wheels, but not all. The vises are mounted to stands bolted to the floor but those bolts can quickly be removed and the vise slid out of the way. I just built a new propane forge and it is on wheels. Probably the best thing I did was to put my welding/layout table on wheels that are retractable. That bench is 5 feet x 8 feet with a 3/4" thick steel top. It is mounted on some old machinery base that is a fair bit smaller in both dimensions, so I put a set of semi truck jacking legs on each end. I shortened those legs and added 8" casters. The table rests on the original base when the wheels are retracted but can easily be moved when needed.

would like to see a picture of that.

my tool rack, gas forge and shop cart are on wheels, not that the cart and rack move all that much. Anvil on the stump and the vise stand both have round bases. All my stuff gets tucked together under the non leaky part of the patio roof and covered with tarps when I'm not working. The round bases on the vise stand and anvil let me tip and roll those out into the workspace, like barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

wheels not so much but mobile and moveable absolutely!   There is nothing nailed down in my shop short of the big xxx workbench with many drawers and storage that is not nailed down but to big and heavy to move.    Peg boards are also great space savers.   Got them all over the shop.

Only my forge is on wheels in the smithy.  But like borntolate I am able to move everything but I usually keep things where they are.  My woodshop is in the garage is different,  and there everything is on wheels. Dust collection table saw, planer, bench,  jointer, bandsaw. etc.  My wood projects are bigger and I need to configure to run the tools.

I don't have much on wheels but everything's mobile except the 50lb. LG. Well, it IS mobile it just takes serious work to move it. A few years ago, I don't recall if it was before or after the accident but Deb and I were out garage saling and ran across one where the old man had to sell off most of his shop for health and wife reasons. There was a lot of really good stuff but only one good enough to get. A brand new, stickers still on it engine hoist.

The price marked was $100.00 and I was finding my hand creeping towards my wallet and Deb  poking me in the ribs. The gentleman's wife, taking note of Deb and my little quiet interplay spoke up and said. "$50.00 and take it with you!" Her husband about coughed up a hairball and she told him he'd never use it. I actually managed to get it in the Saturn Vue.

Anything in my shop 4,000lbs. or less will roll around and even get in my pickup without me straining anything but the pump lever. I think I was still unfolding it when I took this pic. Wheels GOOD.

Frosty The Lucky.

engine_hoist2.thumb.jpg.77bce8e1a6f9762d

Something I've seen done for a post vise stand is using a large round piece of steel as the base, probably 1" thick and about 24" dia. minimum,  It can be tipped and rolled around, or you could use the hand truck still.  With the vise mounted closer to the edge on one end you can also stand on the plate.  Use a pretty hefty piece of material for the post or else the vise will vibrate quite a bit.

Post vice, Massey hammer, Hydraulic press and big wood bandsaw are bolted down.  100lb home built air hammer.  platen table. hydraulic bender milling machine, table saw. planer and jointer are all set up that the pallet truck will slide under easily.  Belt sander and welding table are on wheels but for most things I prefer the pallet truck for moving things.  It rolls easier than many casters but the tool is really stable with no wheels.  My 2 large disc sanders are not bolted down but not moveable by the pallet truck because I wanted them even more stable. 

My vice is on a wheel

gallery_47369_8_13548.jpg

I can roll it out of my way. Never really had any issues with it, if I need too I just put a my foot on it but its pretty stable. My anvil stump is somewhat mobile, its about 14" across so its really stable, but its not bolted to the floor but I don't move it much. I just put 2 casters on my table saw on an angled platform where I can pick one side up and roll it around. My shop is about 13'x19' and I try to have space for woodworking too so space is tight. I plan on building a woodworking bench that has wheels on it too. 

I try to put as much of my stuff on wheels as possible.... including  :-)

Cropped and labeled.jpg

:lol:...... Those are some really big wheels!!!!  

Not what I had in mind when I started this thread....but I I love It. Thats Freakin awesome

My post vise is mounted along with a table and tong rack on a semi rim. It has wheels mounted just off of the ground when the base sits flat. When tipped back, it can be dragged by the wheels. My heavy welding table has steel wheels, and I use pipe rollers to move the treadle hammer.