I Forge Iron

Which anvil to keep?

First, let me say that I am an absolute beginner. I decided a couple years back that I wanted to get into blacksmithing. I want to make basic tools, knives, hardware and fittings for our house, etc. I have been saving and researching in the meantime. I ended up buying 2 anvils, and I need advice on which to keep. I want to reclaim the money from one to buy the stuff to build my forge, etc.

First is a Peter Wright, 116 lbs. Face has a little bit of dish, with a large chip about 2 inches long.

Second is a Brooks (I think) that is almost like new, 100lbs.

I really like the PW because of the slightly larger size, horn and history. However I want to do real work on it and I don't know if I can with the face and edges the way they are. I don't want to repair it. The Brooks is in such good shape. So which one should I keep?

post-60901-0-80153000-1422493773_thumb.j  post-60901-0-42285200-1422494051_thumb.j  post-60901-0-72861600-1422494096_thumb.j  post-60901-0-04971000-1422494280_thumb.j  post-60901-0-28180900-1422494324_thumb.j

Not exactly. The Brooks looks to be cast ductile or steel. 

You should radius the edges of the anvil as you should radius the edges of all your tools, to not leave marks in your work or worse, cause shuts. The edges will last longer as well. 

Some people like to do several different radius's along the edge to provide a different shoulder to work on, on both the near and far side of the anvil.  I have to say the Brooks is ugly compared to the Peter Wright :-), but is in marvelous condition.  I dislike the THICK London pattern, that the Brooks has, I much prefer the longer horn and thinner heel that the PW has.  Function over Form, the face and the edges are where you do the bulk of your work, the thick heel and horn only come into play occasionally.  The PW is useable, but would be much nicer with less wear on those edges.  It is hard to see such a pretty old girl looking so abused and downtrodden...  Trading her to someone who could do a quality repair to those edges in exchange for a forge would be ideal, or at least partial credit toward a forge... ;-)

Some people like to do several different radius's along the edge to provide a different shoulder to work on, on both the near and far side of the anvil.  I have to say the Brooks is ugly compared to the Peter Wright :-), but is in marvelous condition.  I dislike the THICK London pattern, that the Brooks has, I much prefer the longer horn and thinner heel that the PW has.  Function over Form, the face and the edges are where you do the bulk of your work, the thick heel and horn only come into play occasionally.  The PW is useable, but would be much nicer with less wear on those edges.  It is hard to see such a pretty old girl looking so abused and downtrodden...  Trading her to someone who could do a quality repair to those edges in exchange for a forge would be ideal, or at least partial credit toward a forge... ;-)

I have the same brooks in roughly the same condition and I love it. Great rebound . Radioused the edges a bit and the inside of the hardy . It will serve you and generations to come. I've been beatin mine pretty good and it looks better than when I got it! Tops gettin a nice shine to it now.

I'd Keep both if you didn't have to much into the pair. But  I buy tools to use not sell. 

Then again, if you can make a decent profit and keep the better of the two to get going with more items you need. If you won't regret selling one, by all means sell and expand. 

See my ghetto forge in my 1st post about my 1st "real" anvil. if you can get going like that and make some money that to might let you keep both.

the stainless BBQ was left by a tenant the shop vac I already had all I buy is charcoal. and now I'm going to be building a "real" forge to match my anvil. 

But I already have torches,  mig,  ghetto forge and  whole pile of other tools over the years to get me started on a "real" forge.

Most importantly buy good tools, they last longer.

The trick with tools is only buy what you need/use and don't buy all at once.

took me 35 years to finally buy a saws all since I never needed one until one day. And it was a must for the job, so I bought it. Now I use it all the time. 

Rich

I'd Keep both if you didn't have to much into the pair. But  I buy tools to use not sell. 

Then again, if you can make a decent profit and keep the better of the two to get going with more items you need. If you won't regret selling one, by all means sell and expand. 

See my ghetto forge in my 1st post about my 1st "real" anvil. if you can get going like that and make some money that to might let you keep both.

the stainless BBQ was left by a tenant the shop vac I already had all I buy is charcoal. and now I'm going to be building a "real" forge to match my anvil. 

But I already have torches,  mig,  ghetto forge and  whole pile of other tools over the years to get me started on a "real" forge.

Most importantly buy good tools, they last longer.

The trick with tools is only buy what you need/use and don't buy all at once.

took me 35 years to finally buy a saws all since I never needed one until one day. And it was a must for the job, so I bought it. Now I use it all the time. 

Rich

First, let me say that I am an absolute beginner. I decided a couple years back that I wanted to get into blacksmithing. I want to make basic tools, knives, hardware and fittings for our house, etc. I have been saving and researching in the meantime. I ended up buying 2 anvils, and I need advice on which to keep. I want to reclaim the money from one to buy the stuff to build my forge, etc.

First is a Peter Wright, 116 lbs. Face has a little bit of dish, with a large chip about 2 inches long.

Second is a Brooks (I think) that is almost like new, 100lbs.

I really like the PW because of the slightly larger size, horn and history. However I want to do real work on it and I don't know if I can with the face and edges the way they are. I don't want to repair it. The Brooks is in such good shape. So which one should I keep

Where are you at with that Peter Wright and what are you thinking you want to get out of it?

I bought a Brooks new like that one back in the early eighties.  Mine was just short of 80 pounds. Used it for demonstrations for years.  It was great little anvil.   I would advise keeping the Brooks because that one is an especially good anvil, and having a smallish anvil around is always a good idea.

Having that Brooks will allow you to take your time to discover what size and pattern you really need and then to find one.   The Brooks is a keeper.

I bought a Brooks new like that one back in the early eighties. Mine was just short of 80 pounds. Used it for demonstrations for years. It was great little anvil. I would advise keeping the Brooks because that one is an especially good anvil, and having a smallish anvil around is always a good idea.

Having that Brooks will allow you to take your time to discover what size and pattern you really need and then to find one. The Brooks is a keeper.

It's more of a personal preference but I like the shape of the brooks too. Nice and stocky feel comfortable with heavy work over the heel, don't feel like I'm abusing it

I bought a Brooks new like that one back in the early eighties. Mine was just short of 80 pounds. Used it for demonstrations for years. It was great little anvil. I would advise keeping the Brooks because that one is an especially good anvil, and having a smallish anvil around is always a good idea.

Having that Brooks will allow you to take your time to discover what size and pattern you really need and then to find one. The Brooks is a keeper.

It's more of a personal preference but I like the shape of the brooks too. Nice and stocky feel comfortable with heavy work over the heel, don't feel like I'm abusing it

Good Morning,

The problem with this Business is a Blacksmith is always looking for the 'Perfect Do-Everything' tool.

There isn't one!!!  There are more than one!!!  Every different tool, jig, machine, tongs, hammer, etc, will do a few things perfectly.

Sometime you will have a job/project that one Anvil can do and the other one is awkward.

Most people are searching for a useable Anvil, you have two.

Wait until you get used to the Blacksmith Process and then decide if you can or cannot use the second Anvil.

There is no correct answer for your question. There are a lot of opinions. :) :)

just my $.02

Neil

Old Iron. Once you figure out what one you want to keep and you want to start putting together a great tool set that you have made. Check out the books " build your own metal shop from scrap" series. BY: David J. Gingery. They can be bought off the web for anywhere from 1.99 & up. if you start with book one it will walk you through everything and you will have a full shop when done. I only have book one " the charcoal foundry" as I either have the other tools already or access to them or such. I only mention this for a few reasons. one you said in your 1st post you are a beginner ( we all were once) two. your short on tools. ( you kinda hinted to that) three. A anvil is about making more tools and such. These books are for people who want to make things and are geared towards cheap do it yourself plans. And for beginners and Pro's alike. These books will allow you to make items that you either cannot afford to purchase or just want to make. Rich