I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing DVD Question

I was looking at these DVD's

Forging a Viking Bearded Axe

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OBC5D4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5T6E8LBDPU1X&coliid=I1C5DD5K0IJV5Z

Forging a Viking-Age Broad Axe

http://www.amazon.com/Forging-Viking-Age-Broad-Axe-Austin/dp/B00PW9WDKE/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1422470187&sr=1-1&keywords=forging+a+viking-age+broad+axe

Does anyone have experience with them? Is there a significant difference between the two processes, such that having both is helpful?

Are there any other Axe making tutorials that are better?

Thanks!

Contact him and ask. Google James Austin Blacksmith and it'll take you to his site.

Jim has been studying, practicing and developing this curriculem for a couple of years now. Currently he's teaching a class making Viking style hammers, soft iron bodies with welded steel faces. A buddy is taking the class next week (and crashing on my couch).

I've heard Austin speak on this field of study, viking axes/hammers.  There's a wealth of knowledge he has to impart. I don't think you could go wrong with either DVD.

I have Jim Austin's asymmetric axe video, and it is very well done, shows clearly every step and has some good tips on tempering and getting a good weld through the eye. It shows the tools needed for making an axe with a striker, so you will have to modify a bit to do one without a striker. The video is professionally produced and i had one question to bother Jim about, and he was happy to shoot an email back at me, so I appreciated the customer support. Mark aspery has a YouTube video that shows a wood axe being made with a symmetric wrap that is 3 min. Long and an excellent primer for the more complex Viking axe form.