I Forge Iron

Questions I should be asking

D H B

I'm in the market for a solid box / leg / post vise, but mostly what I run across is a single picture.

Rather than driving all over to check them out, I'd like to at least ask initial questions or request particular photos.

Here's what I've got so far.  For what other information or photos should I be asking?

• Do the jaws open smoothly the whole way?  Do they close all the way?
  • How much does the thing weigh?
  • How big are the jaws, and how wide do they open?
  • Are the mounting bracket and spring in good shape?

Is checking for jaws parallel and smooth open / close enough?

I figure if the threads were damaged or the box was cracked you'd see it when you have it cranked wide open, but will be the first time I looked at one with the expectation of buying it.

as the screw and screwbox are the most difficult things to repair or replace their condition is the primary question to ask to avoid wasting time and money checking them out.  Having the jaws out of line vertically is usually more of an indication of abuse and more effort to fix.  Side to side not as much.  The only reason I ask about the mounting system and spring is that if they are damaged or missing you can negotiate the price down.  Replacing them is a simple Saturday morning at the forge.

Width of jaws is an indication of size but weight also factors in I have a couple of postvises of nearly the same jaw width but one has a leg that's double the diameter of the other, vises come in gracile and robustus versions.  I like the lighter ones for travelling and the heavier ones for my shop.  Actually I have two work benches with a ~6" vise at one end and  a ~4" vise at the other end and then a 6+" vise fastened into the telephone pole supporting the shop roof for heavy work...noisy as it rattles the steel walls and roof; luckily no close neighbors!