I Forge Iron

first Anvil

Well I have at long last aquired my first anvil .

It is a Jb 2 CWT and cost £142 .

It is quite difficult to obtain anything to do with blacksmithing as it seems every man and his dog want's to be a blacksmith or collect blacksmiths tools.

The anvil as been used and abused but it will do nicely for what I have in mind.

I was a boiler maker by trade but as the work in GB declined and factories closed I moved in to welding.

Now I am retired I need to do something or I will go crazy,being a Blackcountry mon working iron and staffies are in me blood .

Ta for the crack catch you later

post-13375-0-05385200-1422215367_thumb.j

That is a nice one, congrats. Glad you got a good one right out of the gate. Me nope didn't go down like that. I traded a $1000 shaker table for a 115lb Peter Wright that has a rattling top (delaminating) Next one was a real nice Trenton 177lb that is broken in half at the waist. Real cool looking flat solid top but has a huge u bolt holding it together. Someone here probably worked on it once. I will post pics as soon as I figure that out. Next we have a 77lb cast steel farrier anvil by Valley Forge and it came with a wicked rounding hammer and set of tongs plus stand. Good deal on that one and it's a user. Lastly a big PW that I am picking up tomorrow. If I could get a nice HB and a Mousehole I would stop looking for a bit. Anvil bug has a nasty bite, worse than gold fever. This post was in no way meant to be me bragging. If anything it lets you all know how I lost my mind when I got hooked on anvils. Everything else went on hold. Axe heads are nearly as bad lol. Be well everyone.

post-60141-0-30134300-1422245857_thumb.j

post-60141-0-33805800-1422245979_thumb.j

post-60141-0-25808300-1422246031_thumb.j

Here is that Trenton that I was talking about. Broken in half at the waist and u-bolted together. Previous owner prepped it for weld repair but the guy helping him (whom I'm sure is in here as a member) moved back East. It's a real neat anvil, I would love to talk to the guy who started the repair as I have a couple of questions. Take care everyone...

post-61160-0-16615700-1422252033_thumb.j

post-61160-0-96539000-1422252059_thumb.j

I'm real sorry for any confusion. This is my first day here. I had to set up a second account to access site as I was having log in problems. Now my puter keeps switching back and forth between accounts. I will be deleting the second one Peter Wright 275 as soon as I figure it out. I meant no disrespect to the OP or his thread. 

I'm real sorry for any confusion. This is my first day here. I had to set up a second account to access site as I was having log in problems. Now my puter keeps switching back and forth between accounts. I will be deleting the second one Peter Wright 275 as soon as I figure it out. I meant no disrespect to the OP or his thread. 

Don't be worrying  no disrespect taken ,I quite often have a flush of -- to the brain

I thought you would have a much easier time finding an anvil over there in England. I figured that they were every where. I guess that most got shipped to the new world as ballast on empty sailing ships. Then dumped on our East Coast as on the return voyage they used cargo for ballast instead.Thanks 

I think a lot of them ended up being recycled for scrap.

The Jb I purchased was made just a couple of spits from where I live

I remember the time when every secondary school had a metal work class with an anvil and hearth, most factories coalmines etc had a resident blacksmith but times have changed no one seems to be interested in skills of the past.

3D printers will make anything you want in the future at the push of a button without getting your hands dirty.

But the journey of making something and the shareing of knowledge to me is as big a prize as the finished article.

anyway enough of my ranting.

Thanks for all your thumbs up  looking forward to posting something I have made.

tara for now