I Forge Iron

Hand Iron (Sad Iron)

Smooth, you need to plan a trip down South, you can still buy good old fashioned lard by the bucket full at any local grocery store.  

I think I'd be real tempted to get into detail on something like that, cutting in the grooves on the back of the hand over the joints, fingernails, maybe in my case even a few scars.   

Edited by SpankySmith

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember my Grandmother using these "Irons" on my uncles cloths.  She had 3-4 of them setting on the kerosene stove(Like an old wood kitchen stove) warming as she worked.  Hers had the detachable wooden handles.  She had a number of names for them I don't remember Sad being one some not allowed here thou. 

Bacon is crispy and so are Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies,  From my kitchen at least.  If the bacon is to be correct it needs a little Maple Syrup to be on it and the cookies need some in the recipe.  Good thing my son makes it and my birthday falls at the end of the season.   

Smooth, you need to plan a trip down South, you can still buy good old fashioned lard by the bucket full at any local grocery store.   

Here in "Pennsylvania Dutch Country" getting Lard is not a problem.

Getting the beloved  Patrish to use it, ... is the problem .....  ;)

Edited by SmoothBore

My wife is Mexican find a market that caters to Hispanics and don't ask for lard ask for Manteca. I think you will find it is what you want.

Sure would like to see a picture of the hand when it is being made. I have grandchildren at the age of sending all kinds of hand things with glitter or cookies etc. So I would like to send them one of my hand made of steel. I will give proper credit to those and their idea I have no artistic ability but I can copy most anything to some degree.

I missed the religion part also.

Can't even find lard that hasnt been patualy hydroginated. Raise my own, render my own...

I've got a local Butcher;s shop that i plan to hit up for fat to Render...before theing the PD job, i worked at a local ethnic (Scots) Butchers for a couple of years, and we got Lovely Beef suet in, but it all went into Black Puddings....ugh

Clothing irons used to be forged in the long ago days. Typical would be the forged shape with a handle coming off the center of the heel. The handle of tapered round section could be straight, 12" or thereabouts,  and extending back at an upward angle to get it away for the heat source, or it could be a rattail curving up and over the top of the iron body.

P.S. "My name is Cisco, but they call me Crisco for shortening."

Edited by Frank Turley

leaf fat. I also keep the fat cooked out from cracklins. I'm not sure how you render yours but a crock pot works real well or a roasting pan/lid in the oven set on bout 250. Every three or four hours drain off the liquid and continue melting it down. I do the cracklins in an old caludrin over a gas burner though.

Talking about the old hand irons, not sure it would work for your project but I've got and old one the handel hindges up with a lid and you put coal inside to heat it up!

Scott

In the name of the Flour, the Butter, and the Chocolate Chip, Amen.

Love it! :D

Warm cookies with cold milk are indeed Heaven.
Hell is biting into a delicious looking chocolate chip cookie and discovering they're raisins.  :angry:

(phabib, you can enter that comment now!)

Hell is biting into a delicious looking chocolate chip cookie and discovering they're raisins. 

:angry:

Dad likes to mention the "raisin" cookies they used to get on the diesel subs back in the late 50's/ early 60's at the end of a long deployment. Of course the "raisins" were the bugs in the flower that got baked in.