I Forge Iron

Thoughts on a 2x72 belt grinder

tompdw

I have that same KMG, it's stout. I got the base add on as well and think its a good idea, makes it tough to move but that's a good thing. American made, they answer the phone, good accessories. It's a lot of tool for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I built a KMG clone with my father and it's been a real boon around the homestead.  Wood, plastic, iron...  you can do rough sanding with a 36-grit belt or move up to fine polishing with a simple switch out.  I tell folks all the time that I just don't understand how people can get by without a 2x72 in the shop!

While I'm rather pleased with the grinder, it does have some shortcomings in the design.  We built ours just before the TW90 came out, and I would love to have something like it over the KMG!

I get by with a slack-belt, small wheel attachment and an 8" contact wheel.  A work rest would be much appreciated, but I haven't figured out how I want to go about making one.  A flat platten is definitely something you should consider a must-have for the grinder.

The TW90 has some really solid engineering behind it and is a bit more versatile than the KMG, in my opinion.  

• 2 weeks later...

KMG is nice, you can also get a grinder in the box, wilton, eerf, bader BIII, etc. Lots of grinders out there. I have the KMG, but wish I saved more for the TW90.

HOWEVER the TW90 is more than double the price of a KMG.

A 2x72 grinder is super handy, makes quick work of just about all the many little things I do. Bolts too long? grind it down in 5 seconds.