I Forge Iron

You want HOW MUCH ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be right Ian, I was blinded by the antique glare. Those are really tiny welds, were they made with a miget welder?

Yes, you're right of course, my gems have been hidden by my prosperity for a while. Just like my belt.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I think you missed "the patina " from genuine concrete splashes and the "period" designer footplate, all "tied together " with "traditional mig welding". You obviously can't see the "hidden gem"

​You Sir, are obviously a true aficionado. Please make your payment through Paypal, and we will ship said item to you forthwith. Please include another $543 for shipping. :D

@ Frosty, sharper than a Minora blade

@ Matt , you Sir of the silver tongue, you nearly got me with your dastardly plan ,I had realized that that value was greatly enhanced by the fact that this was the last surviving member of a mismatched pair so there I was about to enter my PayPal pin and enter my OTP (one time pin) when it struck me , the removal of  artifacts of such cultural and historical significance from a country is a most serious crime. You Sir, should  be aware that I don't attend Antique Roadshow events to partake in the culinary excellence of their food vendors.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by a pawn shop today and they had a reasonably heavy chain maybe 20 feet long for $250. I ask if that was correct and the sales person did not reply.

Outside they had a Lincoln tombstone (cracker box) welder marked at $289. I went back in and got the same salesman to come outside and look at the welder and the price. He went to a rather new looking 2nd Lincoln tombstone (cracker box) welder marked at $289. I pointed out the older one for the same price. It had duct tape on part of the leads and one lead had 1/4 inch wide cracks in the insulation on both leads. The box looked like it had been well used and had fallen out of the back of a pick-up truck on several occasions.  I said same price and he said yes. I mentioned that the big box stores were selling the same welder NEW for less than $300 with a warranty. He said the main store sets the price and he would have to call them to make any adjustments.

I ask about a Dewalt table saw for $399 with some rust and showing use, but still in what looked to be good condition. I said that I just looked at that make and model in the box store last week NEW with a warranty for the same price. He again said the main store sets the price. I thanked him for his time, turned and nearly tripped over their 3/8 inch security cable on the way out. The security cable was threaded through all the tools on the left, then across the isle at ankle height, and back up through all the tools on the right.

Tools with unsafe electrical cables are not my idea of a bargain. To ask retail cost for those tools casts a long shadow across all the others items for sale in the building. I will not be back anytime soon when I can get new, still in the box, and a warranty for the same price, .

The PT Barnum business model. Have a cash settlement or annuity? We want a cut, it's YOUR money give us some!

Sometimes I'll wander through a pawn shop for a look see but haven't seen a fair price in decades. A little head shaking amusement is all that's there for me. I have a friend who does a lot of computer work for one and gets decent deals but that's about the only person I know who does.

Frosty The Lucky.

Many years ago, ... ( before my eyes went South ) ... I was an avid Trap Shooter, ... with a more-than-passing interest in "High Grade" Shotguns.

Through a fellow Shooter, I came to know a local Pawn Broker, ... and got my name on his "list" of guys interested in "Nice" guns.

Whenever he got something in, that was better than "plain vanilla", ... he'd let me know.

The point being, ... the "good stuff" never went on public display, in the Pawn Shop.

If you were looking for better-than-average merchandise, ... you had to ask.

I'm sure that was true for Jewelry and Watches and such, ... as well.

Edited by SmoothBore

I know what you mean Frosty, I'll take a peek in a pawn shop about 1 or 2 times a year and if its a tool or a weapon of any sort it would be cheaper to buy new. I have also noticed that they never seem to sell any of those items! One of the shops has a chinese 3/4 drive ratchet and socket sets for $595, been there for over a year, the other day I took a look and now it says SALE $595 and there is another price tag now that has $695 on it!

Oh, ye of little faith! And with suspicious minds to boot, I noticed a sign at the counter on pawn stars that reads something like ' maximum of 13% charged per month'

And when you hear them talk it's worth $100 so we are prepared to pay $60 so we'll only make $30 if they offer $90! Admittedly it's not all profit but a 50% mark up is hefty.

Last time I ever visited a local Pawn Shop I was looking for a backup, cheap drill.. .nothing fancy, simple corded drill.  They had over 3 dozen hanging on a wall, not a one priced under $89.  I imagine they are hanging there still.  I don't understand the business model, are there really people who think $89 used Walmart brand drill beats a $30 new name brand one?  That particular pawn shop has been in business here since I was a little girl.  I always just assumed it's a front for something else....  something I don't want to know about!  :(

A couple times a summer the local pawn shops hold auctions of stuff they can't sell. Folk flock to them and the auctioneer makes no bones about their ringers in the crowd. Right on the sign up sheet you have to sign you acknowledge their right to set minimum bids, increase bids or have their ringers make bids that only count for what it'll go for.

I sometimes go to auctions to see how the scam is going, maybe it'll get marginally honest. Listening to folk there looking for a deal is almost scary, they're going to get a DEAL no matter how much it costs them. Seriously, an armload of bicycle parts from at least 3 different bikes went for $160.00 because it said Schwinn on one part. The wheels weren't even the same size. A 10 speed!? Oooooooh! 3 years ago a coffee shop friend's wife was auctioning off what she couldn't sell ad there were two pairs of "tongs." REAL ANTIQUE BLACKSMITH'S TONGS!! <GASP> Well, one pair of beat up v bit bolt tongs and a pair of end nippers. They started the bidding at $50.00 ea. and when the ringers and barkers couldn't get folk stirred up dropped the opening bid to an UNBELIEVABLE $35.00 ea. and the bidding took off. A DEAL! The ringers had them up over $60.00 EACH in no time but I'd left before they sold.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ringers were against state law in Ohio; but some auctioneers used them anyway.  One fellow I stopped going to his auctions because I noticed that same folks buying up reasonable priced stuff early in the auction that mysteriously re-appeared later in the auction when the fever had set in...