I Forge Iron

Newbie in Arizona

AZGUY

I am an Arizona native living in Anthem. I have been interested in Blacksmithing since I was a kid and have lurked on here for a little while. Lest month my wife got me a class at Mesa Arts Center for the beginning blacksmithing course with  Samuel Troxell. So next Thursday I will be starting the journey. Has anyone else taken this course?

• 2 weeks later...

Well the first week is done. 4 hours last night. The instructor seems to know what he is doing and I had a blast. I can see why this is so addicting to so many people. The first night was S hooks and bottle openers. Let me know what you think good or bad. I know they need the scale removed but we ran out of time.

hey AZGUY, welcome to the forum. Do you have pictres of them? im not seeing anything. As long as you had fun, thats what really matters not good or bad. Theres always more to learn no matter how good you at this. Be warned though, its very addictive! the more you forge the more you'll need to forge! This forum is great for helping build your skills, alot of useful information and a lot of helpful people just browse, and dont be afraid to ask questions, and you will get answers. 

yea ive been havin some trouble lately too, but not bad, not bad at all! nice even long tapers and sharp points, good for your time! the first thing i did was flaten a triagular file! but i had a blast doin it and knew i was hooked! then i was hooked as i made about 500 hooks learning! but its a good way to learn the basics slowly moved on to more and more projects. 

It would be a bit of a drive but the instructor made it sound like you can rent time at their studio on certain days. I go for my second class on Thursday and I will ask. Eventually I will be getting enough stuff together to be able to do it all at home. Anthem is close to 2 hours away from apache junction though.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Mentioning where you live in one or two posts isn't going to stick in anybody's memory so we'll have to bug you about it. <grin>

While you're learning remember to relax and have fun. This stuff is FUN, lots and lots so enjoy.

Frosty The Lucky.

So far I am having a blast. I can't wait for Thursdays class. We will be doing rods and pokers (twists and upsets). Im not sure what an upset is but I'm excited to learn.

Oh good, I always enjoy showing students why it's called upsetting.(old blacksmith joke you'll get thursday)

You'll love twisting, the transformation is so visceral, immediate and visible. Have fun and keep us posted please.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am fairly new too and soon to be new to the Phoenix area. My wife just moved down there and is staying in a temporary rental while she looks for something more long term.  She is looking at a place today that has a separate shop building.  I should be there full time by the later part of June.  Strating in mid March I will be driving back and forth with an 18 foot flat trailer hauling furniture and shop equipment and I am looking for a couple of guys to hire to help unload if you know anyone let me know.  Anyway, I am looking forward to getting to know others in the Phoenix area and at some point I will have a shop available to share with others.

OK. I get why it is called upsetting now. It must have been named for what it does to the blacksmith lol. Between that and drawing out the huge chunk of metal we didn't get to the twists last night. So that and the finishing work on the fire poker will be done next week.