I Forge Iron

Steel Suppliers near Athens, AL

carlson

At the Athens forge meeting a lady mentioned there was a guy who sold steel in/or near Athens, AL.  Don't know how many people from the Athens meetings frequent these boards but if anyone has some recommendations it'd be helpful.  She mentioned that he was open on Saturdays for a few hours.

Thanks,

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

I am in Madison Al as well and I have a good bit of old farm steel I would be happy to share if you would like. This type of steel is good for blades and tools. The steel at Limestone steel is good for most things other than blades and punches. You can also go to   

L Miller & Son Inc for rod, bar, flat and other types of stock. (606 Triana Boulevard Northwest, Huntsville, AL 35805  Phone:(256) 536-1521)

I go to the "Pre-cut stock" (scrap) yard in Fayetteville TN a good bit (BOOTS, not shoes) and have picked up all sorts of good stuff. I have some old buzz saw blades that I got for free that would be good for stock removal or in a pattern weld. These are about 28" blades, think old movie where someone is tied to a log in a saw mill. 

Any one near Fayetteville, TN if you have not been to Park City recycling you should. I just came back with a bag of RR spikes, one track tie plate, two things that look like REALLY big pins like you would have to hitch up a equipment trailer and what I think is some part of a forklift tine. 98lbs $29.00. They had a bunch more of the tie down plates and more spikes as well. 
Park City Recycling
19 Airport Road
Fayetteville, TN 37334
(931) 433-9300

One more thing, stop at "The Junque Yard" the guy there is starting out as a hobby smith and he turned me on to the scrap yard so show them some IFI love. 
1627 Huntsville Hwy Fayetteville, Tennessee 37334

• 2 months later...

I go to the "Pre-cut stock" (scrap) yard in Fayetteville TN a good bit (BOOTS, not shoes) and have picked up all sorts of good stuff. I have some old buzz saw blades that I got for free that would be good for stock removal or in a pattern weld. These are about 28" blades, think old movie where someone is tied to a log in a saw mill. 

Any one near Fayetteville, TN if you have not been to Park City recycling you should. I just came back with a bag of RR spikes, one track tie plate, two things that look like REALLY big pins like you would have to hitch up a equipment trailer and what I think is some part of a forklift tine. 98lbs $29.00. They had a bunch more of the tie down plates and more spikes as well. 
Park City Recycling
19 Airport Road
Fayetteville, TN 37334

Is the pre-cut stockyard the same place as Park City Recycling?

I took Travis and Al's beginner blacksmithing class last weekend.  I'm needing to get some stock to play with.

Is Park City open on the weekend?  I know you said the guy at Limestone Steel is open Saturday mornings.

• 2 weeks later...