I Forge Iron

Making brass appear aged

I am doing a quickie kitchen job and I want solid brass drawer pulls but not that shinny 80s polished brass look.  I have located the drawer pulls I want, they are cast brass and polished.  They don't have that ugly laquer finish.  What I would like to do is dull the polished finish and let use polish them over time as it will.  Anyone have any experience doing something like this?

Thanks

I would always try one first, but what about a soak in a mild acid, like common household vinegar?  Put one in for say 30 minutes, wash it, and see what you get.  If not dull enough, try doing it longer.  Easy to do, and when done, just pour the vinegar down the drain, no toxic chemicals to deal with.

We are getting this place ready to sell so I don't have time to let them age on their own.  I have done some looking around on the Net and it looks like vinegar is the ticket.  The cabinets are dark stained oak (built by the former owner a cabinet maker), the counters are a grayish brown granite and the appliances are stainless.  We are going to refresh the cabinet finish with tung oil.  The floors will be saltillo tile and the walls will be a pearl finish white to brighten things up a bit.

i think the vinegar is not going to leave you with a dark patina like you want. you might try one of these options;

ammonia fumes- suspend them in a closed container of ammonia. don't let the liquid touch them.  this can cause issues with the strength of the metal so don't leave them a long time in the fumes. couple hours should be good if at room temp. 

#2 is to make a saturated solution of baking soda and spray them every time they dry out. 

both of these need a clean grease free finish to start with. 

Liver of sulfur works nicely and is safe for people and metals. Well, don't dip your fingers in it. It will patina copper alloys from just taking the shine off it to flat black depending on time. Liver of sulfur is one or more compounds of sulfur and potassium. (sulfide,bi, thio, poly, etc.) There's a product for hydroponic growing or gardens that is a similar potassium compound that works well if more slowly.

Ammonia fuming works well and under the right conditions can produce Statue of Liberty green on copper, I don't k now about brass or bronze.

Of course you can just pee on it and leave it in a humid place for a while but . . .

Heck if you have an oxy acet torch you can probably just warm it up and put it in a jar of baggy filled with oxy. I've never tried that but what the hey, it might work.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

John, I guess you mean the liver of sulfur and not the 'yellow snow' :)

Could be either Ian it's just preference. Speaking of preference you can bury it in the litter box and let kitty's high potency product age it for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry, to the OP I had meant to add that if you are looking for the 'used brass look' I've found that if you take a slice of lemon and dip it in salt and then rub the item it gives a 'differentiation on wear' type of pattern .