I Forge Iron

Cool forging video

I love the "little" hammer. My favorite scene of it was the almost imperceptable impact when they stamped the finished ring. Just cool that the thing could be so gentle after seeing it's power. My favorite image was the big hammer with the light beams coming from behind. Thanks for sharing this.

I saw rings being forged at Mare Island Naval Shipyard during a family day. The first punch was around 4-6 inch diameter, and about 3-4 inches thick. One tap to set, and the next drove it flush with the top of the billet. I was also there when they got auctioned off after they closed the yard.......

Yes they are throwing saw dust into the dies, helps to prevent sticking, also works as a sort of scale release, you can use coal dust too, or grafite some times, saw dust is cleaner. The hammer driver is driving the same as our steam hammers drive, I cant figure out why you guys in USA have the 2 handles, all ours and all the hammers I've seen from the UK work with one. 2 Handles just seems to complicate the operation. I did like the flip in ringing tool though, flip it in use it flip it back out. I like the timing of the guy flinging the saw dust, he gets it in just as the hammer is halfway through its down stroke.

Dont know if anyone else noticed it but the little hammers frame is fabricated, all plate and fillet welds, makes you wonder if it was an upgrade from a broken frame, or it was a new hammer made from an old design, (the open frame in slides design is fairly old).

Phil

looking at the credits it mentions Firth Rixon.

If memory serves me right this company used to supply us with drop forgings for axle shafts and ring gears when I worked for Case IH at Doncaster.

This was before we started getting cheap 'stuff' from Italy.

We have a large drop forge here at Lincoln but I have not had chance to see it, its at one end of Lincoln called stamp end.

On a clear night you can hear it across the city.

Wayne

As iron mike said, keeps your idiot cusions on this side of the pond from sticking their free hand in between the dies. Remember we are the peaple that have to have warning labels to explane that coffee is hot (we serve tea cold around here) and it should not be placed between ones legs wile driving. ;-)

The 2 hand control they speak of is not 2 hand no tei down but a throttle and direction control.

The sawdust is very old school, In the forges I worked in we sprayed in alkaline salts that leave a solid film are used and work so much better than any other lube that the dies last way longer. On very slow hydraulic presses with very heavy cross sectional change we used graphite mixed with road tar to a toothpaste consistancy. Smoked like heck but worked.

The big steam hammer is a counterblow hammer, both dies move.