I Forge Iron

Vacuum blower

natkova

They move a lot of air under decent pressure, which is good. When I was 15 or 16 I tried to make a blower from one and after shocking myself 3 or 4 times I threw it away. I don't know if I was just being an idiot. Even the metal part of the housing would shock me. My uncle and mom saved a vacuum for me, but I'm hesitant to mess with one. Maybe the one I messed with hated me. I have no clue. I just know it was out to get me. If I remember correctly it even shocked me through the mount I made for it.

Bet Steve is cringing as you type, lol. Realy i dont care for the noise, a budy runs his forge of a bathromm vent fan and loves it. And I can atest that some of the more expensive ones are very quiet, as is a drier blower. A haidryer or inflater works well for a small forge, and at $10-15 most folks can score that. Driers have alkinds of salvage and can often be found free on cregs list with nothing more than a bad itgniter or warn seals

As long as you have mains power (alost said 110, then i rememberd that you could be 220 or something else, lol) some were on here is a nice setup using a #10 can, a small soup can and the blower from a car (might not need the cans if its a self cantained blower) this gives you a set up that works any where you have a car.

About the only way I can think of that isn't a major hassle to use a vacuum cleaner as a blower is to put it in a sealed box. The suck hose sticking out and another piece of similar sized ducting fitted to the box. Turn the vac on it draws air in pressurizes the box and the only way for it to escape is out the ducting to your forge.

The air flow through the vacuum will keep the motor cool enough so there's no burn out or fire hazard. The box will baffle the noise at least some and you can adjust the forge draft by opening a flap on the box as much as necessary. Best of all you don't need to do ANY wiring, just plug it in and go to work. That'll make Steve and our other sparkies feel better.

A shop vac works if you have one with the blower side of the bin but those are really noisy and harder to control the air. If you have a long enough hose you can put the vac in another room or outside.

Frosty The Lucky.

Try reversing the way you have the vacuum mounted in your bucket. I believe it is pulling air in from the side in the bucket and through the motor. Just cut the tape, flip it around and tape it back up. Try it, and if I am wrong, you're only out five minutes and a bit of tape.