I Forge Iron

Knifemaking Book, Introduction to Knifemaking

John Thompson

Steve and all,

I received my signed copy of Introduction to Knife Making" yesterday. The book is well thought out, concise and through. Steve has done a great job of both compiling and presenting the information. Thank you Steve for your efforts in sharing what you have learned.

All the best and Merry Christmas,

Peter

I received one of two copies ordered today of Steve's book, nicely signed and as stated before a nice book, well laid out, right down to making the leather sheath for the knife.  This is destined to be a Christmas Present to my son so I couldn't read it (it arrived just in time) completely.  I'll have to wait until my copy shows up. 

Merry Christmas all and a Fabulous New Years.

Dale  

Received my copy and started reading it right away. I found what I consider to be the best line in the entire book. In the section dealing with drilling the scales in preparation for mounting, Steve tells us "push up into the drill, try and miss your fingers, because bleeding on the scales may stain them". I can't help but smile every time I read those words.

Thanks for pulling this book together Steve, I hope you feel it was worth the time and effort you put into it. I know I appreciate your efforts.

I received my copy a few days ago and have already read it once.  If I had it to do over again--be a total newbie--this is the text I would recommend.  I am now on my second reading with much more diligence and skipping back and forth to cover questions and find answers.  Well done Steve and thanks again.

I expect my copy to have many dog eared pages, sidebar notes, and highlighting as well as scrap paper inserts. 

Brother Steve,

Thank you Very much for your hard work and your team that pulled together to put this book together . I am happy with with it and the content as well it is a valuable asset and good teaching guide as well as you know I ordered two and Yes ,received two signed copies of your book one for myself and the other was for my apprentice in my forge that had just started only a few months ago a young lad still in his teens yet very ambitious and eager to learn . he also loved and appreciates the book as well. 

May the Good Lord Bless you Brother Steve & your Family

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Ret, Sgt. Robert D. Yates

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.  I do know that more than a few people expected me to just clean up the knife chats and print and sell that as is, but I wanted a serious book to help people get started and polish their knife making skills.  I have to give a lot of credit to Shannon, my long time friend for being my editor, she does this stuff for a living.  I would have been totally lost without her explaining all the whats, hows and whys of publishing along the way.  As well as my wife proofreading and asking "What does this line mean? I dont understand it"  so I would then rewrite it until it was clear to the 2 non-smithing ladies, without sounding like a kindergarten book to the rest of us. I hope I managed to do both in an informative and entertaining way. I got yelled at for not letting her go over it again after i finished her suggested corrections again, so I will be reviewing comments and making corrections then letting her reread it all, before the next print run.

It seems edition 2 is needed,  I printed the wrong file, so first edition had 2 missing photos, one incorrect photo and many un corrected typos.  We got it corrected now.

You certainly did in my estimation.  I gave one to my son at Christmas and he has mentioned it a couple times already.  I've gotten into mine some put saving it for a down time for the next 10 days and it's getting cold outside.  set in next to the pellet stove and read.  Nice Book Steve.

• 2 years later...

I'm with Steve; an active smithy and a tablet/phone/kindle/ is NOT a good mix!  My old smithing books I learned from still have big black finger prints in them and a scorch mark or two.

When I'm teaching I warn students 3 times about having their smart phones around the forge and then let them crack their screens on the anvil horn or other protruding steel.   Using them during class in the work zone gets them asked to leave the class.  Going outside to use them is OK unless they spend too much time doing so and then I ask them to choose what they want to be doing: phone or class?

• 8 months later...

I ordered Steve's book on the 21st for my wife who is a budding Bladesmith.

The book came in yesterday and my wife is delighted with it. She was especially surprised by the inscription "For Debbie Steve". Anyone thinking about knife-making and experienced bladesmith's  should have this book in their library a lot of excellent information in it.