I Forge Iron

Well, I am rested enough from a three day crafts fair...

I'd think twice about using any Beryllium alloy due to it's toxicity.  I was always warned about that when I used to occasionally have to use beryllium copper sheet to make die springs when I was doing tool and die work in a punch press shop way back in the '70s.  

Your second guess is correct regarding the color... heat oxide.  My full size textured openers I leave a forge finish on.  The texture seems to hold on to the scale pretty well so I don't have unsightly stuff flaking off and I end up with a nice sort of craftsman-esq  finish that I really like.

The Fairfield event was another one that looked pretty bad when I walked in.  It was an indoor event with only about 25 vendors, including the beer vendors but I ended up selling about $650.00 worth of openers there so I will probably do it again next year if they will once again waive the booth fee.  I think that event was put on by the public library there as a benefit.

From what I have researched on the BeCu alloys that we use the main hazard is from inhalation of fine particals, and fumes. We literally run tons of it through the shop. I have made , and heat treated, some punches out of some of the bar ends.They get amazingly hard for what they are. It is hot short, so the only way to forge it is cold after solution annealing. I tried it hot, and it just crumbles. It also stiffens up pretty quick under the hammer, so you do lots of annealing. I took an anvil to work, and used one of our induction units to do the annealing since it is so much faster than a flame.

Thanks for the heads up, I am still researching for some other projects I have in mind.