I Forge Iron

What's on your wish list?

The knumber Won things,

Good Health, ability to think, a place to eat, something to eat, a place to stay warm, a person to stay warm with, a place to park my tired bones and a place to hang my hat and get a little shut-eye.

All the rest is extra!! :) :)

Neil

A shop or area so I don't have to set everything up and teardown when I want to forge. My biggest problem is in the winter its difficult to run the forge in the garage since its attached to the house. I dont want to cut big holes in the roof or wall for a ventilation hood.

At this point... a proper stand, forge table, and workbench. Due to financial restraints I'm working with a makeshift anvil anchored in the ground and a brake drum forge also in the ground. Feels like I'm doing more work than necessary just to get the basics down.

• 1 month later...

My Shop is full, ... so any additional equipment will force a serious redesign of the Shop Layout.

For that reason, ... the only major items under consideration, are a Power Hammer, ... and an Ironworker.

I'll probably build a "Tire Hammer" myself, ... thus allowing an easier integration into the existing Layout.

I can't really justify the cost of an Ironworker, ... but the appearance of a "good deal", could easily change my opinion on that.  :P

Just last Summer, I "missed" a local "Scotchman" Ironworker, ... for $900.00  ... you snooze, you lose  :( <_<

Someday, patience, ... ready cash, ... and decisiveness, ... will come together to resolve that issue.

in general, more time to forge, continued good health and for the jobs to keep coming in.

Tools wise, I need to make more tongs, more hardy tools for the anvil and some spring swages for my power hammer, I also want to build a tumbler and find a good belt sander

• 8 months later...

Youth; while I certainly enjoyed misspending it I would have chosen to misspent it in different ways...I would have started smithing a decade earlier for instance.

If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have learned from those mistakes.

One more day to be my wife's "old goat", one more day to be my grandson's "peepop" and one more day to scratch my old dog's head. Anything above that is a plus

Well said, everything else is gravy.

Frosty The Lucky.