I Forge Iron

Mokume Knife fittings

cliffrat

I saw this thread and thought I might post a pic of a bowie I made with mokume guard, spacers and frame. I have been making the stuff for a couple of years and the wife takes the finished material and makes jewelry from it.  More photos of the knife can be seen here: commercial link removed as per TOS  It's down towards the bottom of the photo group. Check out the Jewelry tab on the website for more images of the mokume we make. If anyone wants some tips or pointers, just ask.

Post photos here if you wish them to be seen, do not send members off site.

post-14677-0-17903100-1417749493_thumb.j

Cool fitting! The striping looks really neat with the mirrored blade!

Looks like it might be copper oxidized black against unpatinated nickel, or oxidized nickel against clean silver? Unless you went nuts with it and brought some form of iron into the mix.

This furniture is made from one billet of copper and nickle-silver. The brown material is the copper after applying Baldwin's patina. The starting billet was 25 layers (13 Cu, 12 NiSi). The pieces are 18 Ga. and 2"x3". Everything is made from a simple twisted bar.

My apologies about the commercial link. I kinda forgot about that.....

I am having trouble uploading a pic of the frame. It keeps telling me "upload failed"

I'll try to do it again later

• 6 months later...

Trying more pics now. I have forgotten if there are size rules for photos, and I cannot seem to locate any dimension/file size guidelines.

If this is too large a photo, I apologize and hopefully one of the moderators will chastise me promptly, so that I may remove it and replace it with something more manageable.

mokume bowie 022.jpg

Edited by cliffrat
wrong photo

Thanks. Right now I'm working on a copper/fine silver billet for another knife. This one's a dagger. I posted a bunch of photos WIP (work in progress) style on my website of making the first billet. I cannot post the link here because of the ban on commercial website stuff.

Beautiful furniture. I love the contrast and the layer count is just about right. It suits my tastes anyway. Is diffusion welding copper and nickle silver as easy as it seems like it should be?

Beautiful angle on the photo and excellent lighting. Well done on all levels.

Frosty The Lucky.

Is diffusion welding copper and nickle silver as easy as it seems like it should be?

Frosty The Lucky.

​Thanks for the compliments. As for the question of fusing nickel silver and copper, the fusing part is fairly easy, it's the manipulation and patterning that is difficult.

Nickel silver is pretty finicky and will cold short and start to come apart unless you anneal it frequently (like after every heat) and do not forge below a dull red or above a dull orange. So if you decide to use these two metals, be prepared to spend a significant amount of time at the anvil.