I Forge Iron

Attwood Stourbridge warranted, 1. 0. 0. Age?

I was prompted by the similarities in proportion with anvilfreak's "very old anvil" mousehole to dig out my similar-ish one... I have not cleaned the paint off it to see who made it before. It has been on a shelf for forty odd years.

I have only acquired four full size anvils in my life and gave one of those to my brother in law. So in my possession is this one which is a 1. 0. 0. So 112lbs my working one which is 3. 0. 3 340lbs and one which must be 600lbs.

The proportions and size of mine is very similar to anvilfreak's which as 0. 3. 2. is around 86lbs. Mine also has the notch forged in the foot below the hardy hole but does not have the second hole in the foot underneath the bick.

Mine has:-

OOD
OURBRIDGE
ANTED
^
Which I translate as Attwood, Stourbridge, Warranted
No idea about the number but the broad arrow below usually means ex ministry / army.

Any of you anvil experts an idea of its likely age?

Alan

post-9203-0-09385000-1417120667_thumb.jp
post-9203-0-99883500-1417121025_thumb.jp
post-9203-0-82262900-1417121083_thumb.jp
post-9203-0-44572900-1417121149_thumb.jp

I would have thought the 188 would be the date with the last year missing?

So Eighteen eighty something?

I'm no expert though.

It looks like you've got a small arrow below those numbers which is usually indicative of British War Department aka MInistry of Defence. It could be this was a military anvil.

As I say I'm no expert. Attwood might have marked their anvils with arrows..

All the best
Andy

Alan, I haven't a clue, but I think if you swap out the stand with an old tomato box it should be an improvement!  :)  Sorry I couldn't help myself! Glad to see you're on top form. Personality I'm surprised that you've only had 4 anvils .

I would have thought the 188 would be the date with the last year missing?

So Eighteen eighty something?

I'm no expert though.

It looks like you've got a small arrow below those numbers which is usually indicative of British War Department aka MInistry of Defence. It could be this was a military anvil.

As I say I'm no expert. Attwood might have marked their anvils with arrows..

All the best
Andy

Yes, I bought a set or two of wooden handled top tools, flatters, swages and fullers and some tongs from a second hand tools dealer when I first started out. They all had the date and the broad arrow and were ex-WD. I can't actually remember where this anvil came from, if it was the same dealer it would make sense. All of the other tools however are WW ll with dates like 1943. 

Alan, I haven't a clue, but I think if you swap out the stand with an old tomato box it should be an improvement!  :)  Sorry I couldn't help myself! Glad to see you're on top form. Personality I'm surprised that you've only had 4 anvils .

For photographic purposes only I presented it on my "Superjaws" which is a brilliant trestle/vice/workhorse/press. Every home should have one!

Well I ended up with a good anvil early on and did not need another. I have bought six power hammers and built two foot hammers so I suppose they all had anvils as well which puts the count up a bit! The combined weight of anvils would be in the order of 5 tonnes…enough for you?

Alan