I Forge Iron

Used Peanut oil

No peanut oil from a fryer is quite OK; even better if you can get more off of neighbors and friends and have a nice large quench tank full!

Remember to preheat to 120 to 140 degF before quenching---I have a big chunk of steel on a 1/8" dia steel wire that I can heat in the forge and then hang on the side of the quench tank with the chunk down near the bottom on the inside that does very well pre-heating.

I got 5gl of peanut oil from the local Safeway. I asked for and was for doughnut frying oil but got the other fryer's oil. Makes my shop smell like old burritos and eggrolls when I quench something. I was SOOOO hoping for the doughnut smell instead. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky

Frosty, you'd have to fry doughnuts for awhile before you'd get that doughnut smell.  You could always get used oil from an oriental food place and have the shop smell like a wok..... ^_^

That's exactly what I got from the food bar at the local Safeway. The good doughnut shops are being drained by a guy making and using it for fuel.

Have you ever smelled a stale wok? I can't really complain, the price was right.

Frosty The Lucky