I Forge Iron

Rubick's Twist Door Knocker

Swords9023

I made a lamp with cubes and rectangles in a morse code pattern.  Its a way to put a 'secret' code into a project.  There is almost no limit to the possibilities of these twists.

It was painted black, and the black wire to the lamp socket was run up one of the grooves.  Almost invisible.

When I show off projects made with the "cubes or rectangles", most people still insist that they are added to the main part.  I have to explain how it is made(or not, keep them guessing).   Most of my twists have been made with 3/4" square or larger, and I have done the grooves on a Bridgeport mill with the appropriate size mill cutter.  The sawing is done by hand with a hacksaw.  I like the nice clean look you get with a mill cut, even though it take a lot longer to do than with a hot cut.   The biggest I have done is 2 1/4" square, 1/2" grooves.  I sawed the blocks on two sides with a sawzall, going through about 6 blades to make the 50 cuts.  I will try to get a picture of the bars.  Not sure what I am going to make with them yet.

The pieces got a bit rusty, as I did these three years ago.  2 1/4" square, 1/2" grooves, and a lot of saw cuts done with a sawzall.  I made a wrench for the top with 3' handles on each side.   Initial heating took and hour, and each reheat about 1/2 hour.  I only managed a 180 degree twist in two heats.  My furnace just could not get the stock quite hot enough.   The pieces started out about 15" long.  The "cubes" are about 1".

I did the two pieces to be mirror imaged.  One twisted right, one twisted left.

Now I have to figure out what to do with them.

post-10347-0-53768400-1417471665_thumb.j

This is a door handle I did to show my students some options for design.  I did a single row of cubes, and did everything in the design in a square or cubic form.  The big cubes to hole the handle are plug welded from the back, as are the flat squares.  Fun project to design and do.

post-10347-0-02882600-1417644233_thumb.j