I Forge Iron

"Dogbeater" - aka Short Mace from the Feminine Side

Hi All,

I have a coworker who rides the bicycle every day. And in this very little town we live in there are always some stray dogs on the streets. Trying to make her feel protected I offered to make a "dogbeater". (This word literally translated to Hungarian means 'useless, good-for-nothing person'.)

The result :

post-48601-0-80087300-1416478160_thumb.j post-48601-0-70430900-1416478180_thumb.j post-48601-0-47707300-1416478203_thumb.j post-48601-0-79335100-1416478226_thumb.j post-48601-0-81949600-1416478254_thumb.j

Technical data:

Overall length: 45 cm / 17,7"

Haft: 38 cm piece of dogwood  :)

Head: forged from 10 mm square MS, dia of the bud: 6 cm / 2 3/8", clear lacquer finish.

Striking thorn: 6 mm square MS, 10 mm long part sticks out of the bottom.

Attaching the head to the haft is made by two 4mm dia aluminium rivets.

As you can see this is rather an ornamental type of item as a weapon. Although I really don't want to be at the receiver end if it once strikes down. ;)

Any critics are welcome. Thanks for watching!

Greetings

Gergely

Well, I don't generally approve of hitting dogs, but as a runner, I've occaisionally had to drive them off. Most of the time, a couple of thrown rocks will do the trick, only been in a fight with one a couple of times, and only got bit once.

I like the curves, but it's a little short to swing at knee or ankle level from a moving bicycle. If there's a real chance of this getting used, I'd really consider making the handle longer. Otherwise, as low as the dog would be coming, she'd have to stop and/or bend too far over to swing it.

Hi Nob,

I agree with you on the size. But this woman literally throws bread to the attacking stray dogs instead of hurting them. So I really thought that the item must be more able to fit in the basket of the bike as it should be a proven weapon against anything. I'd never tell her about this, though  :)

That's why I made it as it is: Its function is to make her believe she needs not to be afraid and that exactly will help her trough the whole situation.

That's why the thorn in the bottom - totally useless part but looks "scary". That's why the un-reinforced neck where the head attaches to the haft - dogwood is sturdy wood but I'm sure it breaks there when struck heavily. And the violet ribbon also - you don't want to get it dirty, it's so pretty...  :)

And BTW I am totally against any hurting attitude towards any kind of living creature.

Bests

Gergely

It'd take some research and experimentation but instead of a dog whacker make an ultrasonic whistler. Basically an end with enough heft to work as a mace if necessary but it's intent is as a noise maker. Drill holes in the right size and pattern to whistle at a frequency that's painful to dog ears. Think high pitched bull roarer.

No need to hit them, just whip it through the air near them and they'll leave because of the shriek.

Failing that, a squirt bottle with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water works a treat on almost any critter that isn't a bear, panther, etc. 50/50 isn't strong enough to do damage but it sure is unpleasant. Squirt a little up your nose and see.

However, if she's throwing bread to the dogs I seriously doubt they want to hurt her, dogs aren't stupid.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't you guys have guns, seems so much easier to me.

I'd rather not go into the details of European laws about civilians carrying weapons. Let's just say that even this item might be considered as an object being a danger to public safety.

Bests

Gergely

Failing that, a squirt bottle with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water works a treat on almost any critter that isn't a bear, panther, etc. 50/50 isn't strong enough to do damage but it sure is unpleasant. Squirt a little up your nose and see.

However, if she's throwing bread to the dogs I seriously doubt they want to hurt her, dogs aren't stupid.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty,

That's an excellent idea with the vinegear, I'm going to tell her that. 

Well, there are new dogs and they don't know her. But as said earlier the main problem is not with the dogs it's her being afraid of them.

Be well, and all the bests:

Gergely

Excellent craftsmanship.  The ribbon is a nice touch!

I knew a guy who used a motorcyle for delivery newspapers.  He had a similar problem but a different "solution".  He took a wooden stick and attached two blunt metal rods to it.  He connected the rods to his Condenser and frame respectively.  As I recall he even fashioned an insulated scabbard for the thing.

On it's innaugral mission he discovered that his engine stuttered every time he made contact with a dog!  Not wanting to stall out, he quickly disconnected from the now furious dog.  The stuttering slowed the bike just enough to let the dog get it's vengence by biting his arm.  Upon the bite, he dropped the shocker.  He then tried to out run the dog.   However every time the shocker hit a puddle, his engine would stuttter, and the dog would bite him. 

I still laugh thinking of that spectacle.