I Forge Iron

Newbie forge build question.

41flathead

I'm considering building a forge next to my wood stove and building a Y-pipe to use the same stove pipe out of the shop. I'm not sure if this will work. Has anyone seen or heard of this being done? Any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
41flathead

I wonder if you would have the capacity for both?  Your shop stove pipe probably was built to handle the volume of smoke from the stove.  Adding more from the forge might or might not give you the necessary draw.  Then again, the stove's pipe upward draw might pull your forge better...dunno...food for thought.

Stove experts out there???

Are you talking about installing a coal forge?  You might want to consider that the chimey on a woodstove works a little different than one for a coal forge.  Generally, a woodstove uses a 6"- 8" flue pipe, whereas a coal forge works best with a 10"-12"+ chimney.  You'll likely find that the smaller pipe from the woodstove is inadequate for drawing the exhaust from a coal forge.  Also, most building/fire codes that I have encountered don't  permit sharing a flue pipe between 2 systems.

Is your building insured? If so and you put in a non-code installation they will probably refuse to pay on it if *anything* happens. I was born in Fedvill, graduated from the UofA and married there; still drive through from time to time...lots of kin folk in NW AR; got a stepdaughter and twin grandkids in West Fork...

Really better if you just back up and build a 12" pipe for your forge, dont plumb in your wood stove as it will still mess things up. You may consider a damper and make up air if you live in cold contry. Make up air is never a bad idea for a woodstove either, better to pull in temperd air from a controled sorce than cold air from anywar it can find a way in.

• 3 weeks later...