I Forge Iron

First "Real" anvil

So after posting in the tailgating section looking for an anvil to upgrade from my rr track anvil on Friday I have come home today with a 100#/ 45 kg brooks anvil that looks like it has never seen a hammer before. Sharp edges that need to be rounded off a hair still has most of its original blue paint. Excited to hammer on it soon!

I was wondering if anyone knew any history of Brooks England or if it can be dated I don't see any date marking on it just weight and England.

But big thanks to the community for tryin to find me something good.

post-56851-0-48802700-1416178136_thumb.j

post-56851-0-77547600-1416178154_thumb.j

post-56851-0-74219800-1416178194_thumb.j

post-56851-0-08281900-1416178217_thumb.j

Nice looking anvil there. She's seen use but no abuse, the edge is radiused back a few inches from the step on one side and there are a few inconsequential little chips on that edge as well. Not even broke in so to speak.

She's going to be a joy to use, now light a fire and get her used to her new partner.

Frosty The Lucky.

Cause he doesn't wanna burn the carpet? Sigh.....go get a stump and show that anvil some tough love.

Raining here dang it............still went out and touched my anvils to let em know I love em. Congrats on the nice find!

Just gotta swap the rr track off the stump might work on making a proper stand for her

There are to many people to complain around me I'm in the suburbs right outside Philly or near a bunch of row homes or I would be out there right now

Research the site for other ways to silence an anvil.  

Such as put it in a box with about 3-4 inches of sand on top of an anvil stump.

Let me rephrase that. Put a box on top of an anvil stump and put the anvil inside the box. Now fill the box with sand to cover 3-4 inches of the anvil base.

I used a grease drum full of sand one time with the anvil about 3-4 inches down into the sand. Worked very well at killing noise.

Let me rephrase that. Put a box on top of an anvil stump and put the anvil inside the box. Now fill the box with sand to cover 3-4 inches of the anvil base.

I used a grease drum full of sand one time with the anvil about 3-4 inches down into the sand. Worked very well at killing noise.

That could work I have the part of the barrell from the 55 forge I just built to upgrade from my combination BBQ/forge setup lol heated steel quick and burgers quicker

My guess it that it's fairly recent as it's marked both in pounds and KG

Where could I find some history on them I saw a post on anvil fire about brooks but I wanna know more if it's out there like knowin the history behind the stuff I'm workin with.

Glenn's suggestion WILL work. It's the compression waves resonating caused by impact from the hammer that makes the sound. Damp the waves and the sound virtually goes away. Instead of an ear piercing ring it becomes a metallic clank.

I get a similar effect from steel anvil stands, my Soderfors went from an ear damaging loud ring to a clear clean clank.

A sand box anvil stand reduces the ring even further and they're adjustable for height. If the sand extends on to the feet the steel can't resonate at all and your anvil becomes surprisingly quiet.

Frosty The Lucky.