I Forge Iron

heavy industry forge welding

Modern examples of solid state welding:

1. Chain-Same method as was done years ago but now induction heating and automated forging take the place of solid fuel and hand hammers.

2. Drive shaft and other tubular automotive components are inertia/friction welded

3.Down hole oil field tools are also friction welded-short fat sections welded on to long bars

4. Open die forging of ingots- All ingots have internal holes. Converting the casting (ingot) to a forging involves forge welding those holes closed. If we don't do that correctly, then the finished part has holes remaining internally which can lead to premature part failure.

Leo a retired industrial Blacksmith who stops by my shop most weeks tells me they did a lot of industrial forge welding much more recently than that.  Back in the 50s and maybe into the 60s they forge welded links for lifting chain bridles and lots of other things.   They brought in 'anti borax" welding flux by the 45 gallon drum.  They would go though a drum every few months. 

But at some point all of that work switched to electric welding. 

• 5 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 2:27 PM, Foundryman said:

At the foundry where I work our blacksmith regularly does forge welds

Would it be possible to have a phone number so I could contact the foundry to get a quote for a new clapper as the one on our bell has snapped Thank You .

I have trimmed your quote as per this thread.  The quote feature

Edited by Mod30
Trim excessive quote.