I Forge Iron

Soure for Superwool, ITC100, and Castable Refractory

ede

The forge is made out of 1/16" plate, and we plan on lining it with two layers of kaowool or superwool, castable refractory, the itc 100, and perhaps the greenpack 85.  The burner design is from Porter's book, except we are using 1'' instead of 3/4'' for the nipple.

The burner design is from Porter's book, except we are using 1'' instead of 3/4'' for the nipple.

Then it is not the design from Porter's book.

From your photos, it looks to me as if you've taken Mike Porter's carefully developed and documented construction methods for a Venturi burner, dispensed with any part of it that actually resembles a Venturi, and produced something akin to an "upwind" burner. Albeit a beautifully-made upwind burner.

I may be misreading the photos, but it looks like there is no reduction to produce a Venturi throat and therefore no subsequent expansion; the essential components of a Venturi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

The upwind design is well proven, so you should not have any great trouble getting it to work, but it is unlikely to give quite the control over air:fuel mixture that a good Venturi design can.