I Forge Iron

20# tank is freezing up - I need to link two tanks together

jcornell

The problem being, I'm not sure what parts I'll need.  I'm in the USA, so the 20# tanks have a #2 POL connection.  I would like to buy the kit that Larry Zoeller sells, but he's not answering his e-mail.

What parts do I need, and where can I procure them?

Thanks in advance.

Local welding supply can get you the fittings you want/need if no one else can.

If I remember right Home Depot sells the Propane nuts/ nipples in the plumbing section with all the brass compression fittings.

I don't know your exact setup, but what it sounds like you want to do is often referred to as a manifold in the welding industry. Basically it's a rig set up to allow you to feed off multiple cylinders at the same time. Toughest part will be if you want the rig set up so you simply screw in your existing propane nipple into the manifold. The female  fitting ( CGA 510 if my memory is correct this morning) is a bit harder to locate and probably will need to be ordered. The male  fittings usually have a male 1/4" NPT thread on them. You will need a coupling to attach them to pipe or hose and a T valve. I usually have my Parker Hydraulics guy make up the hoses for me in what ever lengths I need and swage on the 1/4" male ends. hoses are easier to hook up than rigid pipe connections. They can also do flare fittings if those match what you have. Then you just need a T to connect the two supply hoses and what ever parts you need to connect to your forge.

Note: be sure and check all connections with soapy water for leaks before use. For gas I use tef tape most of the time on connections, or if I use pipe dope, I use it very sparingly so it doesn't end up in the system. The tef tape is not a sealant. It acts as a lubricant so the fittings create the metal to metal seal easier and don't seize or gall. Pipe dope is a sealant as well as a lubricant.

My local propane supplier made me a connector to connect two tanks at the same time. It pulls from both at the same time. I used it with the small tanks for only awhile and now I use it when my big tank gets low.

I'd forgotten about that. RV dealers often have manifolds for rigging multiple cylinders together for higher use situations like running a heater or stove. They would be another place to look for parts.

I'd forgotten about that. RV dealers often have manifolds for rigging multiple cylinders together for higher use situations like running a heater or stove. They would be another place to look for parts.

Manifold!  I couldn't pull that word out of my brain for the life of me.  Yes, that is what I have.  I leave it hooked up all the time, just keep the small tank off until I need it.

People that use propane to dry drywall inside buildings, use up to 6 -100lbs. Bottles. Talk to anyone in the construction Rent-All business.

Here in God's Country, I go the Hydraulic Fitting Store. They have it all.

Who does fittings in your town? (someone who does fittings all day).  Ask them!!

When one bottle freezes, put it in a pail of water. The water acts as a Heat Sink, it allows you to work longer. Two bottles = Two pails!!

The added feature is you can keep your refreshments cool as well. Ice Coffee. :) :)

Neil

I have my bottle in a wooden box and had a space heater blow on it though a hole in the side  (no heat),  just the moving air around the bottle does a pretty good job of preventing it from freezing up.  It now has an old exhaust fan from an old range hood. that blows into the box.  Takes about two minutes from when the pressure starts to drop back to wide open when I forget to plug it in.