I Forge Iron

New Post Vise Stand

JKindy

Finally got a stand made up for my Post Vise. Had to get some plate, pipe and a welder to put it together. The base is 24" diameter, I would go bigger next time. 3" Schedule 40 pipe, 1/2" inch top and bottom plate. The post the vise is sitting on is crooked, I wanted the vise to be straight. Hindsight I probably could have straightened the mount first... It's fairly stable as is, and when needed I can stand on the plate to add weight. I wanted it round to be able to move around in my small garage shop.

postvisedesktop.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Way nice JKindy.  I am going to copy what you did. I have some nice 3" schedule 80 pipe in my scrap pile that should do just nicely. 

You wrote that the base is 24" in diameter but in retrospect larger would be better. If you were starting over today what diameter do you think you'd use (assuming 1/2" base plate)? This, I don't have loafing around in my shop so a trip to the scrap yard is in the offing for me.

And, you wrote you "had to get...a welder." Nice.

Ciao,

David Todtman 

Nice stand, plumb and square isn't really important as function goes but I understand it as a principle thing. I've been advocating a round flat plate base for years for the reasons you give.

About the only things I do differently is. Drill a hole in the plate for the leg to socket into. They're usually too high for me to use comfortably anyway so I try to keep them as low as possible. AND I make the plate I bolt mine to a little narrower than the jaws and 6" or so long with a rim so I can lay tools and parts on while I work. I also have a couple tool rings on the tray so I can hang a twisting wrench, tongs, hammer, etc. You can't make the little tray too wide or it gets in the way bending around the jaws.

Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

If your shop is small and you use it for more than just blacksmithing, go with the wheels. If you have room and figure out where you want it bolt it down, both have advantages. I would love to have the room to dedicate to just blacksmithing but I do not. So the ability to move my vise around with the welded on wheels is great as the base is *commandingly heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have built four vise stands similar to this one, with the post in the center of the plate.  I find it very easy to move by tilting and rolling.   These are for when the other two that are permanently mounted are not enough, or I want to roll one outside for grinding or filing.  I did use 1" plate on the bottom.  I found cut-outs at the local scrap yard from commercially cut circles.  They had a small starter scar, but were perfectly cut discs, and for the use, they were perfect.