I Forge Iron

Safety, respirators

Standard dust respirator with replaceable filters from a big box home supply will be fine for grinding. Stick with a name brand like 3M so that replacement filter canisters are available.

Note that it will NOT cut it for welding fumes, they sell specially rated underhood versions at welding supply houses.

• 2 weeks later...

One big thing many people forget with respirators is that they need to fit well. They sell them in different sizes as one size doesn't fit all. Also if you are a guy with heavy facial hair, the respirator will not seal well. When I was working years ago for the compressor shop PT, I got sent out to help one of the techs do an emergency repair on a compressor at a local chemical plant. 1st thing they did was hand both of use disposable razors and a can of shaving cream to shave off our beards. 2nd thing was to get fitted by the safety person for respirators just in case. Mediums fit a lot of people and large covers most of the rest. Usually you can put one on without the filters and block the filter ports and inhale. If you can get air in, the mask leaks and isn't fitting correctly.

I've used a lot of those disposable type filter masks for dust and grit, but I wouldn't trust the seal for anything like fumes. I like the 3m 1/2 face masks, either the 6500 series or the 7500 series.  The 7500 masks are more comfortable that the 6500's but cost more. Both will take cartridges for welding fumes like lead or zinc. The flat 2091 P100 cartridges are what I use under my welding hood if I have to weld galvanized.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/881849O/rugged-comfort-half-facepiece-resp-6500-brochure-eng.pdf

Acceptible seals can be obtained with beards, dont belive me check out German police and military from the late 1980's. to assure a good fit and seal, one must be fited and leaktested. Keep your beard trimed. Volentire fire department and I went a few rounds on this one and i still have my beard.
We work in the middle of a gas and oil feild, so not only do we deal with toxic smoke but toxic gasses with protective masks and SBA.

Interesting. I know a beard doesn't make as much of a difference with positive pressure systems like Scott Airpaks the fire department uses, since any leak will simply allow air out of the system preventing any fumes coming in.

I do know that if a beard is trimmed right, it will still allow a skin to mask seal, but that doesn't work with full beards. I'll have to look into this a bit more. If you have any suggested links I'd appreciate it.