I Forge Iron

1970 anvil producers

What companies were producing anvils around 1970 that painted there anvils blue. Been talking to a guy that says he has an anvil 250 lbs that he bought in 1970 with blue paint still from factory anyone know anything.not got to see it yet says still brand new

Sounds like it could be a Brooks anvil.  They were well-known for their use of blue paint.

Very good anvils and definitely worth having if you can get it for a decent price.  A new anvil of that weight would cost you a grand or more.  If the anvil really is in "brand new" condition, like the one in the pic, anything less than a grand would be a good purchase, imo.  

Remember, as long as you take care of it and don't beat it to smithereens, you can sell it down the road for almost as much as you paid for it.  That means your purchase price is really just a long rental fee.  Buy it for $600 today and sell it for $500 in a year.  You get a year's worth of use and a very easy sale... all for a hundred bucks.

Anvils don't have any parts to wear out, no belts to change.....  it'll be a good anvil even after ten years of banging on it, and I don't doubt you'd be able to sell it in a few years.

SN850282.jpg

Glad to help, hoss.  If you can get an as-new Brooks anvil for a buck-a-pound, that would be epic.  But, don't fret one bit if he asks $3/lb.  It's still a lot cheaper than buying a brand new 250# anvil from any of the current makers.

I hope it's a Brooks and you get a steal of a deal.  Post lots of pictures when you get her cleaned up.