I Forge Iron

Door Stop

Frank Turley

Steevo,

The customer brought me a busily designed, commercial brass cast one about the same height with a hideous claw foot for the base.  Turning it around, inside the claw was a cast iron piece screwed on for extra weight. She didn't like it nor did I. She wanted a 'wrought iron' one and left the design up to me. Many of us have used an old cast iron clothing iron for a door stop, but you need to bend over farther to pick it up. Your search engine will show you quite a variety of door stops.                                

That's a beautiful idea.  I never would have thought to add a handle so you don't have to stoop down to move the stop.  

You obviously don't have a bad back... LOL :lol:

Working for one guy this summer he was getting anoyed that I'd always walk away to put down tools when I was done using them. He just didn't understand why I didn't just lay them down on the floor right where I was working so I could just bend down and grab them again in a minute or two. He just doesn't understand it's easier for me to sit things down on a bench or worktable then it is to bend over 500 or 600 times a day the way my back is.

Stop looks good. It took me a minute to understand how you made it. At 1st it looked like a "shovel" leaning up against the door and I thought it was attached and dropped down to hold the door vs just a weight in a "stick" the way the photo is.

The 3/4" vertical was stepped on the near anvil edge, and the fishtail drawn over the anvil face. For "insurance," we arc welded the stepped area in the back and smooth/sanded it. Used two 3/8"D rivets peened into countersinks and plug welded; smooth/sanded.

I often design as I work. I do some measuring. I sketched the handle full scale and ran my little wheel traveler on it to check length. Other than that, I just got busy. Francis Whitaker said once about visualization, "If you can't see it, you can't make it!"

• 3 weeks later...