I Forge Iron

Mulcher Blade Steel

Hey folks, I have a client who gave me a mulcher blade and asked to have a folded hatchet/hawk made from it. After dressing the piece and getting rid of the bevels for the blade edges, I folded it, stuck a piece of 5160 in it, and welded it... or tried to. I know some steels don't like to forge weld to each other, especially certain carbon steels. I'm not sure what these blades are made of, I tried hardening a little sliver of one and it didn't want to harden, but I may not have brought it up to a critical enough temperature. I can't get some of this mulcher blade to stick to this 5160. Part is welded, part isn't. I've tried welding it 5 times. The metal was cleaned before the first initial weld, too. 

What steels don't like to stick to 5160? If you all encounter this problem, what do you do? 

Thanks! 

Things like mulcher and brush hog blades need to be tough not hard so it's probably a high moly chrome moly. The chrome is it's primary source of hard and abrasion resistance. Chrome oxide is hard to weld and 5160 contains quite a bit of chrome as well to allow the leaves to slide without much wear.

Pick something else for a blade would be my choice.

Frosty The Lucky.