I Forge Iron

Meet the Angry Anvil

Nice looking anvil stand...unique to say the least, great imagination.

I thought I posted a comment earlier today, but I guess I forgot to hit the "post" button and it got lost in the ether...anyway, moving on.

David, if I might make a recommendation regarding the rails around your base.  It appears they are made of rebar.  I would strongly recommend cutting off the rebar and replacing them with round stock.  The rebar has a very rough finish that is not friendly to wooden hammer handles.  Tongs will survive just well most likely.

On my anvil stand (wooden) I first made my handle holders from 1/4" x 1" flat bar.  I quickly found out that the edges of the flat bar were chewing up my hammer handles.  I removed them and ground down the edges, but they were still chewing up the handles.  As a final resort, I replaced the flat bar with 3/8" round bar and the handles are not being chewed up any longer.

UPDATE:  I found the lost post...it was a reply to David's post about his anvil over on the weldingweb. 

A leather wrap would probably work and give it an eclectic look (big word, huh?).  Might gather up some old belts of your's and friends' and use them.  :)

A bit of leather lace like a steering wheel cover and you are good to go.  Post pictures if you do that mod.

Forgive me for saying so David, but I think your fine piece is better in it's natural state. Your art needs no applied finish.

I do thank you for that. I was happy with the way it looked but thought about where I lived and felt it needed a finish to protected it from the elements to keep it lasting. Virginia Beach is close to the ocean and bay with humidity. I will definitely keep this in the family to pass it along to the next generation of metal workers.

Use satian or semi gloss polyurethane
I am in nebraska and our summer humidity will put a coat of rust on anything that goes outside in a matter of minutes.
I have had art out side for years with one coat of poly.