I Forge Iron

Sisco Superior

Here's a 495# Sisco anvil I recently jumped on for a screaming deal. The seller did not know what he had there...
When I got there to look it at, there were many layers of paint on it so I couldn't make out any markings anywhere. But I could see flats on the feet. It was getting dark, and I certainly wasn't going to hesitate buying this anvil, whatever the make was. So at first I was leaning towards it being a PW due to flats on the feet and a couple of handling holes.

I just wanted to get it loaded in my truck and pay the man as fast as possible. I knew there would be a flood of calls coming to buy it right on my heels.

Sisco495-1.jpg

Later in the week I had a bit of time to start trying to figure out what this old girl was. Unfortunately the anvil had layers of white, yellow, green, red, and black paint on it. Yuck.

Sisco495-2.jpg

But once all the paint was off, and I could start wire brushing for details, I was tickled to find the make of Sisco. I would've been extremely happy with this deal if the anvil had turned out to be a PW, but finding the Sisco Superior stamp is even more fantastic.

Sisco495-3.jpg

Sisco495-4.jpg

Once it was all cleaned up, I could not be more thrilled with the anvil. I've played with a lot of anvils of all makes, this Sisco has the best rebound of any I can remember testing. Catch the ball bearing right back between your fingers from where it was dropped. Even way out on the very edge of the heel it is over 80%. Spectacular.

But like the other recent thread of trying to ID their anvil, if you find a cast steel anvil with flats on the feet and one (or two) handling holes, it might be a Sisco.

Sisco495-5.jpg

Frosty, I wish that 700# Fisher was mine, all I could do was give it a loving hug at Quad State last month when it was being handed over between seller and buyer. Mr. Jim Cokewell took that picture for me, who knows when you'd see another like that for sale, so I thought it at least deserved a hug and a picture. :)