I Forge Iron

Weight lifting bar - what kind of steel?

A friend gave me an old weight lifting bar, thinking I might use it in blacksmithing.  It's darn heavy, about 6 ft. long, chrome plated (UGH), and about 1 1/4" in diameter or so.  I did a spark test with an angle grinder and it had few, short, short-lived sparks with many flares at the ends of the sparks like a high carbon steel.

Any WAG's on the most common type of steel used in weight lifting bars?  I'm sure there are several, but the most common would get me in the ball park.

Is the bar a consistent diameter, or are the ends where the weights sit fatter?  If it has fatter ends it is an olympic bar and will be a different spec again. Even general bars say used on a bench press come in a variety of grades.  What they are though I can't say.

I would think it's likely a mix of many different alloys do to the many companies that produce them and the fact they only need to meet strength requirements not content requirements.

I'd say this is the case. Just like rebar only needs to meet the tensile load required. Doesn't matter how it gets there.

Could be fun to test the steel a bit though. See what hardening characteristics it has if any. Maybe it's brittle while forging, or maybe it will be a steel.

<script type="text/javascript"> //

Is the bar a consistent diameter, or are the ends where the weights sit fatter?  If it has fatter ends it is an olympic bar and will be a different spec again. Even general bars say used on a bench press come in a variety of grades.  What they are though I can't say.

The bar is constant diameter the entire length.  I hear what the other replies are saying....probably an alloy and who knows WHAT mix it might be.  First off, need to get rid of the chrome finish, then do some testing for hardness, quenching, etc., etc. as zero_sum suggested.

Sounds like the weight bars are the "railroad spikes and rebars" of the sports world.  :wacko:

And, matto, yes it is heavy.  45# sounds about right!

Thanks to all who responded

i made my slitter for cutting tomahawk eyes from one, won`t harden, but i just file it sharp when it needs it.

If the bar is a "higher" carbon steel (don't know how much carbon is in it), and it won't harden, then that must be attributable to the alloy composition??

Maybe tomorrow or the next day, I'll get to cut off a short piece and flatten it into a flat bar for hardening testing.

Been doing some reading on IFI about coatings (chrome in particular) and forging.

I don't think I want to stick a piece of the weight lifting bar in the forge after all even if it is just a coating.  My forge is outside and I usually have a fan blowing the smoke away until I can get my hood constructed, but I am reluctant to forge with the chrome plated bar even under those circumstances.  

Will try to find a chrome plating/deplating shop somewhere.

I did a little reading online and apparently you can remove chromeplating using hydrochloric acid (also known as muriatic acid). Makes sense as the lab i work in prepares soil samples by digesting samples with hydrochloric acid or aqua regia and we regulary test for tri and hexa valent chrome. Only trouble is the waste it generates is pretty nasty - hexavalent chromium salts, which are rather carcinogenic and can screw up water treatment systems if just slung down the drain. I need a way of removing chrome palting from hydrolic pistons as i have been given several off cuts. If you can safely dispose of the waste, acid treatment might be the cheapest alternative otherwise it can get pretty pricey i would think. Requires experience of handling corrosives plus PPE for actually dealing with the stuff though.

can one remove chrome safely with lathe or grinder?

You are going have to address the debris and fine particles that are thrown off by the cutting and/or grinding.  Probably safer than fumes and acid treatment, but PPE would be the order of the day if using lathe or grinder.