I Forge Iron

What to do with 20 gallons of rust? LOL

Option A or Option B   that is the question.  either sounds like a worthwhile experiment.  have heard of iron around fruit trees to make them grow better but can't remember my source on that one so it could be sketchy  (  word doesn't look right but anyways...)

Really, I'd be more tempted to smelt it down and/or try for a billet. I was more commenting on the kinda stupid thing I would do, plus I've just been seeing a lotta posts popping up all over the place about blacksmiths playing with it.

Thermite's not hard to make, but it can be crazy stupid dangerous to play with, especially in quantity. 

Also gotta third suggestion, ever make iron gall ink? Could forge some quills and sell with small packets and or inkpots.

I think I remember the standard recipe going something like this, Crush a bunch of oak galls into vinegar, Or water with a little wine or vinegar (or beer, there was someone that famously used beer, yeah right, not wasting my good beer on.....dang it, got sidetracked!).

But anyways, oak galls should be, say about 10-20 percent of the whole mix. If ya can't get that, use oak bark, acorns, walnuts, etc. Add small amounts of iron. Let steep for a couple of weeks stirring every day. Somewhere in there add gum arabic as a binder. This could be off a bit, but hey, this is the internet, so you can search recipes, and you've got a lot of rust to play with so......have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

to get rust to convert back to iron you need large quantities of carbon monoxide present at elevated temps.

If you have a sealed can how is this going to happen?

Iron oxide in a linseed oil base was a traditional red paint and as it was pretty much the cheapest paint around it was used for large items---why barns were traditionally painted red!