I Forge Iron

The anvil I learned on...

Hi guys - this is the anvil that got me started some years ago now. I've been meaning to post pics of this particular anvil since I joined the forum. 

I spent a day with the resident smith at this forge who is one of the nicest men I've ever met, he's well into his 70's and has been forging since he was 14 years old! :o

Spending even just a few hours with this guy is great as he'll watch you do something and just make small suggestions which totally change how you operate. 

At the time I took these photos, it hadn't been used for a little while sadly. 

IMG_2413.jpg

As you can see it's pretty old. If I were in the States it would almost certainly be colonial. There's no weight stamp or markings in any way, which seems typical of these anvils.

IMG_2415.jpg

The anvil normally gets almost daily use at an education centre for children, where they're taught about ancient technology and skills. It takes a real beating at times as you can see. 

The face is very uneven, with lumps and bumps all over the place. The edges are chipped and rolled in places. Many an anvil snob would turn their nose up at this old girl. Even the horn has seen serious abuse.

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

That said, it's a very good tool. Every lump has a purpose and comes in handy for one process or another. - So perhaps beginners should take note, your anvil does not have to be perfect for you to produce good work. I've worked at this anvil for many many hours at at time and I've never once found it lacking in any way. 

Thanks for looking 

All the best 

Andy

Looks like the one I first used. It was one of two in the historical society. Was the one in use @ the time. I found it quite akward to use myself. Dips and swales and beat-up/broken off edges. A Trenton 160 pounder farrier anvil

They had another trenton that was near like new, but setting on in corner. Covered with a moderate coat of rust. I mounted it up on a stump and find it perfect for me. What a breath of fresh air to use a flat face and high/tight corners. WoW. Love it.

post-21170-0-46012900-1412622675_thumb.j

post-21170-0-63062500-1412622695_thumb.j

post-21170-0-63259600-1412622765_thumb.j

Thanks for the personal history Andy, she's a fine old lady, good teacher for sure. I'd be proud to give her a place near the forge.

My first, most "real" anvil is something I welded up from RR rail and took with me on bush jobs. A couple years ago I gave it to a new guy at a club meeting and I haven't seen it since. I hope he gave it to another newcomer when he got a better anvil. Makes me wish I'd put that string on the gift. Oh well.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.
I mostly wanted to address the idea that your anvil doesn't need to be perfect before you can achieve results.

You have to wonder what kind of history it had, the smith who taught me found her on a farm with a flower pot sat on top. Then he was given her for free.

All the best
Andy