I Forge Iron

Wall-Mounted Bottle Opener

01tundra

I decided to move this over to this folder for more discussion on technique (instead of cluttering up the "Show me your bottle opener" thread with general tech stuff).

Anyways, I've been wanting to try forging a wall-mounted bottle opener for a while now and I finally got a chance to sneak in my first attempt a few weeks ago while finishing up a product run for the day.

I used 3/8" round stock, split on one end about 3" long in a 1/3 - 2/3 thickness (instead of splitting equally down the middle).  I chose unequal proportions for the split because I wanted the smaller portion to be a vine and still have enough material on the other leg to make a leaf.

One thing I learned was once I split it, it took a lot of work to square up each leg while trying to avoid cold shuts, due to the relatively tall and skinny profile of the individual legs.

I didn't think much more about it until I was making a candle stand for our house the other day, utilizing the same split technique, but this time a 50/50 split on 5/16" round stock.  I experienced the same difficulty in squaring up the legs, but this time it was even tougher to do.

That night I was thinking about it and it all of the sudden hit me......why didn't I square up the portion that I intended to split prior to splitting, instead of splitting round and then struggling with squaring up each individual leg to draw them out?!  I was kind of embarrassed that I hadn't thought about that in the first place, but unless I'm missing something, squaring up the entire end of the stock prior to splitting would make life a lot easier.

Wall-Mounted-Bottle-Opener_zps85337bcf.j

I commented on liking this technique in the other thread. i think the unequal slit is a good idea. I was thinking that perhaps you could even start the split below the end as well to leave even more material for the leaf.

For squaring up splits, if I understand your question, what I do when making forks for campfire cooking,is to flatten and taper the stock to draw it out and thin it down before making the split. I think you could do something similar with your application.

Jim, your bat opener is what inspired me to even attempt a wall-mounted style bottle opener, I was actually studying a picture of yours while I was forging (hence the almost identical bottom portion).

Someday I'll get the confidence up to attempt a bat opener, it's an absolutely wonderful design.

• 2 weeks later...