I Forge Iron

2014 Christmas presents, start now

Here it is October 1 and we have less than 90 days to get the Christmas Gifts built for this year.

There are lots of ideas in the forum and about 20,000 images in the gallery to use as source material. No excuses this year, as there is still time if you head for the shop today, To those that say they can only work on the weekends, well you have 12. Use them wisely, that is to say do not miss a chance to go to the forge and light a fire.

So,

What are you going to make as Christmas gifts this year?

I have had drawings in my book for almost two years now to make a Mokume Gane ash tray for my father in law, and have expanded the project to be for 4 members of my wife's extended family overseas.  there are 3 Saturday open forge opportunities in LA between now and then, and a handful during the week that I MIGHT entertain driving out for.  so as much as I want to make this happen this year I cant guarantee it :'(

My father is very much in love with trains, both model and real life. So for him I'm thinking of making a railroad spike slingshot. (he already has an old knife I made him) As for my Mother I am very much indeed stumped... Not a clue as to what to make or buy her. The rest of my extended family will get an array of both bottleopeners, corkscrews and other trinkets for the younger generation. But, any ideas of to make for me mum would much appreciated.

~Travis

My father is very much in love with trains, both model and real life. So for him I'm thinking of making a railroad spike slingshot. (he already has an old knife I made him) As for my Mother I am very much indeed stumped... Not a clue as to what to make or buy her. The rest of my extended family will get an array of both bottleopeners, corkscrews and other trinkets for the younger generation. But, any ideas of to make for me mum would much appreciated.

~Travis

mums always like a rose or two,especially from their son,in steel or copper of course.

There are going to be quite a few bottle openers and cork screws made. I am planning to make a drifted collar necklace for my wife as worn by Daenerys Targarean in game of thrones. I just have to find a dress that will match the necklace now.

Being unmarried but having been in a pretty long relationship once (2 years), you're braver than I. If she wanted nice clothes, she got gift cards....

Hey Jacobd, 

I am a little bit worried about the idea for the wife but I think it will be a winer if I can pull it off.  I will end up buying her something as well just in case the mideveal dress doesnt' work out :).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...