I Forge Iron

Some weekend forging

Wife and daughters were out dress shopping Saturday, so I was able to get a good 4 hours of forging in at the backyard smithy.  

Trip to the scrap yard first was a little sad. Still plenty of bar stock, even octogonal steel, but the rack of drops, plate and the odd machine tool have been replaced by recyclable alumimum and copper.

I get most of my project ideas from the online files of various smithing groups newsletters and all three of these projects came from that source, mostly BAM if I recall correctly.

Business card holder from angle iron, more sawing and bending than hammering. The woodworking friend said it looks Greene and Greene, the daughter said it looks like a couch.post-182-0-67692500-1412028005_thumb.jpg

Tree hooks for a friend who has a cabin in Big Bear, CA, And since EVERYTHING up there is bear motif, I thought some trees might be a nice change of pace.

Finally a candle trammel that's been on the list for a while. post-182-0-20706800-1412028027_thumb.jpg

Learned a few things-the bottom whole the rod slides thru doesn't need to be a tight fit-the adjustment holes need to all be pretty square to the plate and the same size-the hook on the rod needs to bend a little past 90 degrees to hold well, and you need to upset the rod the candle cup sits on BEFORE you bend it round and rivet the cup on.

Still trying to figure out to to both rivet the candle cup AND leave a spike to hold the candle.

thanks for looking

Yeah, the card holder does look a bit like a couch! But that's OK - very stylish. Comfortable cards.
I never thought of forging a card holder. Mine sit in a crummy plastic thing from K-Mart. Maybe we should start a thread of creative card holders or something.

Its just a 6 inch piece of angle iron, with 6 cuts in it. a half inch from each end, both sides of the angle iron, almost to the middle, and one inch from each end, on one side of the angle iron. Hardest part was getting it to sit levelpost-182-0-62673300-1412032731_thumb.jpg

Tony Austin's Real Nice Business Card Holder from the January 2004 BAM newsletter.

looking at the plan I made the cuts twice as wide as directed, no wonder it looks like a couch!

To fit the candle cup and have a spike. Forge a sharp point on the end of the bar where you want the spike. Use a monkey tool to set down the candle cup onto the spike. (Pre drilled or punched hole please.) then use a undersized hardened monkey tool made out of a tool steel to cut down on the edges of the spike as it widens. Thus making slivers fold back onto the cup. Note do not drive the cup far down onto the full width of the parent stock. Leave it sitting on the taper otherwise it'll go down to far or go crooked. You can ask me how I know .......... Heehee. Hope that made sense.

Thanks Rashelle, that's a good idea. I was thinking I needed to keep the spike square ended, upset just below the candle cup, make a tenon and then, maybe while heating with a torch, upset the spike above the candle cup and finally point it. 

Monkey tool sounds easier, got some 5/8 drill rod that will do the job perfectly.

You can run a separate spike through the bottom and monkey tool that also. So that the tennon piece becomes a bottom plate too. I'm too tired to try to explain at the moment though. There are variations. Brian Brazeal teaches how to do it the way my brain isn't explaining very well at the moment.

You're welcome and I think I'm out. Blah typing while tired is hard to do..

I just noticed the widest side of the card holder is on the top of the one you built, but in the diagram it looks like they folded the "arms" of the holder down so the smaller edge is on top.
I wonder if doing it that way would decrease the couch look if that's a concern.

(I think it's still a great idea either way!)

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but I also needed a business card holder recently.  In my case however, I needed to use it outdoors at a location known to be very windy (middle if San Francisco Bay on Treasure Island).  This was my solution, before I cleaned off the scale and colored it.

post-39923-0-99603700-1412305266_thumb.j

post-39923-0-12371400-1412305284_thumb.j