I Forge Iron

On a whim, I decided to design a chess set

Karn3

Nice designs!  You must know of Ludwig Mies Van der Rohe's ideas:  "Less is more".

I've been thinking about doing a chess set for my brother's 50th (last year) and was going to do either 1 side square and one side round or one side with straight Damascus pattern and one with a pool and eye design.

But again, well done.  I wish I had the idea.....

those are really cool!  I love the forms and they are superbly executed :)  you could do the opposing side from copper or another metal, but perhaps playing with oxide colors would be the most expedient path, be pretty cool to have a straw side and a peacock side rather than classic black vs white.

Very cool!
For the two colors, I would black oil finish one set of them to make a nice deep dark black.
The other set I would fully wire wheel for a nice metal look, then surface sand by hand to bring out the highlights, then wax.
That would make a nice contrast between the black and lighter colors. :)

Gorgeous. Left to right - pawn, rook, knight, king, queen, bishop? Maybe brass brush the "white" side.

And although I'm truly sorry to blaspheme such a beautiful set, so help me the first thing that went through my head when I saw the pawn was Monty Python's black knight with the big pot helm on the ground.... "tis but a scratch!!!"

If you ever decide to put a set up for sale, even a single piece, I'd love to own one. MAGIC!  Beautiful how the knight is set apart from the rest of the pieces with that wonderful curve, and the usually passive looking pawn seems a force to reckoned with. 

• 2 weeks later...