I Forge Iron

treating bracelets

pete46

Problem with nail polish, as any of us girls can attest, is it chips rather easily. With jewelry it won't take long at all to start chipping, heck just tossing it on a surface will do it. I'm using wax polished to a high gloss on any jewelry and key rings, anything that has to take some banging around.

You have a point there, but won´t wax melt or get some reaction with the skin, say for warm/ sour skinned people etc?

Maybe a different version works better? my teacher talks alot about HM´s cheap matte- nailpolish. Haven´t tried it myself but i´ll give it a test! Maybe some higher quality spray laquer? For high stress items. Plows etc. There should probably be some clear car laquer around =) 

I tried nail polish on some copper rings I made, even though I had doubts about it. It was recommended. It did not last the first day, getting the chips out of the detail work was a (insert grumbling and growling). Lacquer and paints, clear coat etc will all most likely work the same. I use Rennaissance wax now. Though I have used car polish type waxes. There are other jewelry waxes out there that would work also. I think the car wax I used was nu-cote or something similar.

I got distracted in my don't use nail polish or clear coat soapbox.

Back to the subject: I have used bees wax and candle and parrafin on steel pendants that are worn all day at a time. Burnt on. Haven't had an issue. I have made a couple bracelets out of steel and bronze. The bronze hasn't been worn much, so no comment on coating. The steel was wax coated, but not worn much but no complaint. Copper bracelets I used both Renn wax, and car wax, and some jewelry polish I bought. The best so far are the renn wax and the car polish. They like wax finishes will need to periodically be re-applied. On copper it's pretty much daily as the skin oils react with the copper. I imagine the bronze and brass I've done will be the same.

(Note  steel, copper, and bronze I've forged and worked cold brass only have worked cold, and silver not forged but have had to anneal and fuse it.) (Next note: I am not a jeweler so there will be people with a more experienced input then me, this is just what I've found and researched as I've made some on my own and have had myself requested to make a bunch of jewelry for the costume department and have done so.) Not a lot of experience there but hopefully my input will be helpful.

Don't forget that metals have inherent healing properties and having them contact the skin can be beneficial for certain conditions. An example is copper for arthritis. Interestingly I wear copper everyday and never take it off and it has not dis colored my skin at all, but I have patients that have severe joint problems and arthritis and their body chemistry seems to oxidize the copper overnight. I think these reactions are due to the acid/alkalinity imbalances in their body and the fact that negative ions build up at injury sites. Copper being positively charged counteracts this. So tell your clients if it turns their skin green they need it!

I recently started making copper chased bracelets. The person that introduced me to them had just starting making them at the request of a customer who wanted one for arthritis, so no treatment was applied. I did likewise and did not treat mine. I've sold a few but have not gotten any feedback yet .... hopefully that's a good sign : ). I don't wear any jewelry so can't give a first hand report.

Interestingly copper also has bactericidal properties and in Brazil where a lot of copper mining is being done they actually made a beautiful hospital with all copper surfaces. The rate of hospital related infections decreased by a significant amount, so much that the hospital in Los Angeles is doing trials with copper surfaces and rails on beds, etc. when my wife was breast feeding she had some trouble with mastitis and I forged a copper nipple for her. The mastitis went away within a day every time.

Even the polished and coated stuff wears off quick. Since making them I now wear 1-2 copper rings daily and 1-2 silver. They change periodically as I've made different variations. If I do not repolish close to daily they visibly oxidise. Though using hand sanitizer seems to keep them shiny and no green fingers. The alcohol seems to clean up the oxidation pretty well.