I Forge Iron

Forging a candle shaper

Wow, that's an excellent idea, and I love the videos! (I especially like the fast motion!)

Unfortunately, I do not have a power hammer (it looks like fun!) so i'd have to do it the hard way. That would require a lot of hammering and forge time.

I wonder if this could be made from a piece of black pipe, cut and shaped?

Hmmmm...  :rolleyes:

Wow, that's an excellent idea, and I love the videos! (I especially like the fast motion!)

Unfortunately, I do not have a power hammer (it looks like fun!) so i'd have to do it the hard way. That would require a lot of hammering and forge time.

I wonder if this could be made from a piece of black pipe, cut and shaped?

Hmmmm...  :rolleyes:

Yes, easy to do, see #6 usual safety procedure when forging tube applies.

I have one I will try to find and get a pic of it up on the site, basically just a bit of tube about the candle's size,

Neck it in about an inch or so from the end, form your taper to suit the candle nozzle the candle will fit into, (if you make your own, make a mandrel to size them and use that)

Then move along and neck in again about a hands width away from the first necking in, and form a comfortable shaped handle,

Cut off, allow to cool 

Cut in a thin slot with saw or thin grinding wheel and sharpen so inside of tube is the cutting edge, reheat, flare the unsharpened side of the forged cone and quench, 

Which side you sharpen makes it right handed or left handed in use.

Hi Jim, pictures as promised, dragged these out of my prototype scrap pile.

First one from tube for shaving the tapers on;

post-816-0-96191300-1412370555_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-47180200-1412370792_thumb.jpg

And this one I call a candle iron, heat it up over a stove, warm enough to melt the candlewax, place candle into nozzle vertically and you get a nice firm seating, melted wax is caught in a container (tin can) underneath, and this excess can be used to finish other projects.

post-816-0-20233000-1412370810_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-43109900-1412370901_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-63651000-1412370926_thumb.jpg  

Have fun

that looks awesome, I need to see if I have the skill to shape the handle like that!

It just occurred to me that if I used a small piece of pipe I could flare one side for the sharpener, then the other as a candle snuffer, sort of like an hour glass shape with a rod to hold/hang it..

I love this site, so many ideas...

• 2 months later...