I Forge Iron

What might be a crazy idea for springs

Good Morning Folks, 

I was pondering the AnvilFire JYH information especially where they say that shock absorbers are not a good spring system on a JYH since, well, they absorb shocking force. That makes a good bit of sense but I was wondering could you take the kind of shock absorber in this photo and drill the base of the cylinder to negate the gas piston action and be left with a ready made spring linkage?

If this is a crazy idea feel free to say so, I can take it. :)  

post-35414-0-19984500-1411385528_thumb.p

The shocks are designed for Well shock asorbing. I think the end mounts are too weak. I love to repurpose items and have a fair ep at doing so.

If you want the simplest design, that takes the least machining, study the Rusty/Krusty, and my hammer on Anvilfire. Very simple to build. I have much changed my hammer since the photo's on Anvilfire. I have gone to a tube in a tube design for the ram, based on the "Tire Hammer" design and have also gone to a tire clutch. Been running since 2002.

Ptree,

Thanks for the input on the end mounts, if that is the case then I shall not mess with these. I have ordered 2 4 bolt hubs from Amazon for the princely sum of $5.78 each that would have been used in a 1995 Eagle Summit or a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer (if you can believe that). I figure one of these and a one of a few 4 bolt spare or trailer tires I have seen should do the trick. I find the AnvilFire pages to be a big help and I have been checking the JYH page. I have a small air cylinder and 5/4/2 valve that I am learning how to use, most just wanted to see how that worked and I might put together a small air hammer just to say I have done it. The "Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius" sitting on my shoulder whispers "use a shock, make an air cylinder". I think I will ignore that suggestion unless someone else has done it already.
Thanks again for the input.
Ernest.

I have often though belleville washers would make a good power hammer spring for a dupont type linkage.  http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionD/D41.pdf  They are adjustable in length  by adding or removing washers. You can make them stiffer or less stiff by the way you orient the washers and if you break a washer it is less likely to shoot out and you are only looking at replacing one washer not the whole spring. 

JNewman, 

You left out the most important part, it is not that they are less likely to shoot out that is true. The main thing is they are less likely to weigh 5-7lbs when they are shooting out at you and very sharp!

I have seen spring steel snap and the edges of the break are like razors. You make a very good point about replacing one not the entire spring.

Ernest 

PTree, 

I can see why one would like these things because they seem like you can fine tune the heck out of them. I was reading the package on a HF link belts and being able to change the belt length by one link seems like it would be very handy.

On a different note, word order. Something on the radio showed how important word order is to a story. 

What they were trying to say was that people who were displaced by a fire were provided shelter by the Red Cross. What they said was:

"shelters have been established for people forced from their homes by the Red Cross".

Makes you wonder when the Red Cross started forcing people from their homes. 

Jeremy,
 I was hoping to avoid having the make the tooling since I lack the confidence in my skills and a machine shop.

Ernest - If you cannot hand forge simple hand tools from a coil spring, a power hammer may/most likely be very dangerous to you, Mainly due to having to know how metal moves under a hammer blow let alone from a more powerfully power hammer hit. A machine shop is not needed to make hand tools - just a hammer and an anvil(or an anvil like block of metal). Take the time to learn the basics - things will go much better for you.

Ernest - If you cannot hand forge simple hand tools from a coil spring, a power hammer may/most likely be very dangerous to you, Mainly due to having to know how metal moves under a hammer blow let alone from a more powerfully power hammer hit. A machine shop is not needed to make hand tools - just a hammer and an anvil(or an anvil like block of metal). Take the time to learn the basics - things will go much better for you.

Jeremy,

I think you and may not be saying the same thing. Can you tell me what simple hand tool you are thinking about? I thought you were talking about the items that hold the spring/linkage together when you said I should make my own tooling, am I wrong?

I have not seen many power hammers where the linkage is hand forged. Mostly, and please tell me if I am wrong, it looks like the tooling on the linkage was not hand forged.

Please advise what hand tools you think I need to be able to make from a spring?

I have done punches, chisels, drifts and knifes.

Ernest

Use the springs for making hand tools as in punches, chisels, etc. Use when hand forging. Fabricate your arms as a weldment assembly.

Jeremy,

I know (I think) what you mean by a "weldment assembly" but I am unsure about this context. Are you talking about the arms in a DuPont linkage? When I was looking at the shocks I was thinking about the "Pogo Stick (non-DuPont)" from the Anvil Fire linkage page. If I need arms for a DuPont I know a welding shop that can put them together much better than I can.

Did it sound like I wanted to use the shocks for the arms, oh no, that is too crazy even for me! I know that shocks would never stand up to the stress in the arms take in the linkage.

Ernest