I Forge Iron

I Located A Beautiful Late Colonial Early 1800s Anvil Today

Today I was browsing craigs-list and stumbled on a just posted anvil ad. "Antique Anvil, $125" was what the ad said. I instantly called the guy and since I was the first caller, he promised it to me. I hopped in the car and arrived less than an hour later and the anvil was just as pretty as his picture. The guy did not have change so he let me have it for $120. I threw it in the front seat and hauled it home. This is my 7th colonial style anvil that I have added to my collection. This is my only one with a step on the horn. The rest have conical horns. Too bad there are no legible markings. I believe it weighs 140-150 lbs. Thanks for reading!

The image of the anvil beside the barn is the C.L. ad picture.

post-46213-0-14793600-1410839540_thumb.j

post-46213-0-39942400-1410839570_thumb.j

post-46213-0-06824500-1410839605_thumb.j

post-46213-0-65307600-1410839632_thumb.j

post-46213-0-48642400-1410839658_thumb.j

The old anvils had multiple piece face plates that were forge welded on a piece at a time. The edges of the pieces tended to decarb a bit/overheat in the welding fires leaving them a tad softer and after a lot of use they wear down a bit faster. Of course this is dependent on the circumstances of each piece so some show it more than others; but I bet I could look that over carefully in person and find the other joins as well!

Nice score! I'm with Josh, that old lady has volumes of stories written in her face.

Another factor making the joint sink farther than the rest of the face plate is support. The middle of a plate has to drag all the surrounding plate down with it if it is to sink. Edges can more easily bend downwards partly because the vertical can shear into the anvil's body.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.