I Forge Iron

Is this guy using a rounding hammer?

rockstar.esq

I haven't seen a similar hammer before - it appears to be some kind of rounding hammer but I'm not sure.  I've only seen ones like it on youtube videos posted in German.  I don't speak (or read) German so I'm just watching.

It's a bit unusual to my eye.  Some of the others I've seen were made with a round side that was considerably smaller than the hammer body at the handle.  The opposite square sided end was actually larger than the hammer body at the handle.  It's so odd looking I figured there must be a reason for it.

Off the cuff it does seem like having a square die to indicate "Flat" and a round die to indicate "Crowned" would potentially make it easier to know what end faced the work.

Dos any body know any info about the power hammer with the horseshoe spring? its build the same way as a "Boss" hammer, with 4 round stand. 
Cant find any info about hammers like that, only info about the boss hammer-

Thanks for the video Rockstar.esq.

I don't know anything about the hammer in the foreground but the one he uses for spreading the boss and tapering the strap, that is behind him when he is seen working at the anvil, is similar to ones I saw in Mattias Peters shop, and his guys called them Feder Hammers, which is simply Spring Hammer. They also had a Reiter air hammer but they all said they preferred the feder hammer because it was so much faster.

I was surprised with all the line shafting that he had a hand cranked drill…. and I would love to know what happens when you pull on that handle that is dangling in fromt of him! Reminds me of the controls Christoph Friedrich has in his water powered forge.

Alan

Paul is there a link or name to the source of the hammer catalog page you could put up?

I enjoy making hammer and such and volunteer at a historic site. Thus am interested in older tooling and sources of information on them. Thank you for posting that. I'm now going to go do old German hammer catalog web search heehee.

Rashelle

Thank you Paul. I got lost looking at some old catalogs I found for woodworkers. Heehee Now I'm getting myself lost looking at pictures on the link you put.

Also thank you Rockstar for the video. It looks to me also as a rounding hammer on the round face and the square face is flatter. Funny timing as people have approached me lately about helping them make similar hammers, knowing I did something similar with the competition hammer I made not long ago.

• 2 years later...

Again?  Look at the founding date for ABANA; this round has been going on for several decades now, (Not to forget Bealer's book). Smithing was part of the "Back to the land" movement that was part of the '60's (See the Foxfire book #5!)

The Arts & Crafts movement was a huge influence on smithing back in the early 1900's; I have The Popular Mechanics book on Blacksmithing from pre-USA entering WWI; the Neo Gothic fad in the 1920's helped propel Yellin's Career.  Now a lot more people may be aware of us because of a few TV shows; but there were TV shows dealing with smithing before; just not so popular.  (The Woodwright's Shop did an episode on smithing and there is a Rural Heritage show that covered smithing)  Shoot I've been on the evening news demoing a decade or two earlier than FinF!  Look at the COSIRA books too.

Welcome aboard VooDoo, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

A good practice any time you start looking at a forum is to do some reading for a while. Blacksmithing is far from a fading craft, there are in fact more blacksmiths practicing in America now than ever before. It's just not the standard way of producing iron and steel products. It's only "becoming" popular again if your only exposure is TV. 

I'm not knocking FIF, it's getting more kids off their computers and cell phones and into meetings to join and learn to do REAL things with their hands. 

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

(The Woodwright's Shop did an episode on smithing and there is a Rural Heritage show that covered smithing)

I love the rural hertige show on RFDTV. I think my dad has a subscription to the magazine. they covered a guy that makes hand forged garden tools a few weeks ago. Awesome stuff!

As I don't have a TV, I'm doing good to remember that it existed!  But it does bring up observational bias; folks not aware may see a "smithing desert" where folks who are aware see smiths everywhere.  Which may also be why finding your first anvil may be very difficult and once you have it they seem to pop up all over.

My general reply when people tell me that Blacksmithing is a dying craft is: "Well all my friends do it!"  and then tell them of Quad-State with about 1000 smiths there in a good year and from several countries and active web forums, a national organization in several countries, etc and so on.

(I was giving blood platelets once and as you are stuck in the recliner for over an hour I brought my copy of Tim Lively's Neotribal smithing tape to watch---and found out that my phlebotomist was from Haiti and had grown up with a smith just down the road from his parents house working in much the same ways that Tim was demonstrating.)

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard VooDoo, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

A good practice any time you start looking at a forum is to do some reading for a while. Blacksmithing is far from a fading craft, there are in fact more blacksmiths practicing in America now than ever before. It's just not the standard way of producing iron and steel products. It's only "becoming" popular again if your only exposure is TV. 

I'm not knocking FIF, it's getting more kids off their computers and cell phones and into meetings to join and learn to do REAL things with their hands. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks I updated my location. I've been reading and watching a lot of videos, watching one on making hardy tools at the moment. I love how smiths share info freely as everything I do is either by trial and error or watching videos and asking questions. This is such a great craft, I wish I had gotten into it 20 years ago. Something I always wanted to do.

Gotta watch out for the video blacksmith experts, most only have a camera and connection and some are plain dangerous. What books do you have, join a local organization yet? Once you have a basic handle on the knowledge you can start filtering the wheat fro the chaff online. Until you can tell the good from the worse than worthless trying to learn the craft via social media is about as good as negotiating a mine field on a pogo stick.

Please don't get upset if someone seems to go off on you, they're really going off on the proliferation of dangerous and useless myths online. Not you, honest.;)  Just suggest using Plaster of Paris and sand for a refractory and see what happens. :o

Frosty The Lucky.

I get a lot of my info from accomplished smiths like Trenton Tye and Salem Straub. Also Walter Sorrels videos are helpful. I've been working with metal and tools my whole life so I'm pretty good at keeping myself uninjured. I've forged about 30 blades so far and I'm working on making some tools right now. I have thick skin so someone going off on me is not an issue. There are a lot of internet badasses who shrink considerably face to face. Thanks brother.